Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, May 3, 2020

I MUST TELL JESUS (TH/PEACE #6)


        Wouldn't it be nice if you had someone with whom to share your concerns and fears especially during the virus which the world is suffering.  It would even be better if your friend could comfort you and relieve your anxiety.  But any friends you might have are probably facing the same fears that you ae wrestling with.  And they can't do anything to solve your problems.
         I must admit that during times like this I wish that I could talk to my dad once again.  He was wise and his faith was strong.  But while he might have comforted  me, he couldn't really solve the problems we are all facing today.
          But there is one who is always available to listen.  He is there to comfort and guide us.  
He can give us peace and relieve our anxiety.  And if we desire guidance, peace and comfort, all we must do is share our concerns with him and trust him for the help that we need.
          Such was the experience of Elisha Hoffman, a pastor in Lebanon, PA.  He shared that there was a woman to whom God had permitted many experiences of sorrow and affliction. Coming to her home one day for a pastoral visit, he found her very much discouraged. She unburdened her heart, concluding with the question, "Brother Hoffman, what shall I do?" 
         According to Hoffman, "I quoted from the Word and then added, You cannot do better than to take all of your sorrows to Jesus. You must tell Jesus." For a moment she seemed lost in meditation. Then her eyes lighted as she exclaimed, "Yes, I must tell Jesus." 
         As Hoffman left her home he had a vision of that joy-illuminated face and he heard all along his pathway the echo, "I must tell Jesus. I must tell Jesus." After returning home, Hoffman wrote both the words and the music to this comforting hymn. It always amazes me how so many of the great hymns were written so quickly and often resulted from experiences of sorrow and pain. 
         Maybe today your burdens about the virus and your friends and family are very heavy and you don't know what to do. Let the words of this week's hymn tell you what you should do.

(1) I must tell Jesus all of my trials,
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me,
He ever loves and cares for His own.
Refrain:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

(2) I must tell Jesus all of my troubles,
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.
Refrain:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

(3) Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus:
He all my cares and sorrows will share.
Refrain:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

(4) What must I do when worldliness calls me?
What must I do when tempted to sin?
I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
Over the world the vict'ry to win.
Refrain:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

Listen to it here.   TELL JESUS

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found your blog when searching for the story behind "How can I be lonely?" I find great encouragement in knowing what prompted the writing of the hymns I treasure. Frequently, it has been great suffering or sorrow like the Apostle Paul wrote of in II Cor. 1. Of course, we avoid suffering, but it is an essential result of identifying with Christ--growing in grace and the knowledge of Christ, especially relationally and experientially. You're doing a wonderful service. Bless you today and every day!