Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, May 31, 2020

JESUS TOOK MY BURDEN - (TH/PEACE #10)

          Do you have any burdens?  Are there things that are troubling you today?  If your answer is "no", you might be unique.
          I think most people today are living with concerns about the unusual situations that we are facing today.  Will you or your loved ones catch Covid19?  If you do, will you survive it?  Will you keep your job?  Will you lose your savings?  Will life ever return to what we knew as normal?  
          Today we are all facing serious problems and concerns that we never even considered three months ago.  Now what can be done about these burdens?
          I recall my grandfather sharing this illustration in one of his sermons.  There was an elderly man walking slowly along a country road, carrying a very heavy package.  He was struggling from the weight of his burden. A man passing by in a horse drawn cart stopped and invited him to relieve himself of the burden by riding in his cart.  The old man accepted the invitation but continued to hold his package rather than placing it on the cart.  His burden was not relieved. 
          His reaction was the same as the way so many of us respond today with our burdens.  We all face many burdens including the heavy burden of sin.  "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."  Romans 3:23. But today many try to deny that burden or try unsuccessful ways to deal with it. "For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me."  Psalm 38:4.  This week's hymn shares the only way for mankind to get rid of this burden, " When I, a poor, lost sinner, before the Lord did fall, and in the name of Jesus for pardon loud did call; He heard my supplication, and soon the weak was strong, for Jesus took my burden and left me with a song."  
          But after we are relieved of the burden of sin through His love and grace, we continue to face various different burdens during our walk on this earth.  "Ofttimes the way is dreary,and rugged seems the road, Ofttimes i'm weak and weary, when bent beneath some load." "When I was crushed with sorrow I bowed in deep despair. My load of grief and heartache seemed more than I could bear."  Have you faced times like these?  I imagine that you have. I know that I have - it's part of  living in this world.  But I hope that your experience with these burdens was, "'Twas when I heard a whisper ... You to the lord belong. Then Jesus took my burden, and left me with a song."  
          These words were probably the experience of the one who wrote them, Johnson Oatman Jr. (1856 - 1922).  He served as a visiting preacher in many churches. He also worked in the mercantile trade, and then the insurance business. But the man is remembered today mainly for the many gospel songs he wrote - about five thousand of them. These include No Not One, Under His Wings, Higher Ground, and Count Your Blessings.  
           Oatman concludes this hymn with the testimony,  "I'll trust Him for the future, He knoweth all the way. For with His eye He'll guide me, along life's pilgrim way."  Psalm 55:22 also challenges us to "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."  Are you carrying a heavy burden today?  Don't be like the elderly man who held on to his package rather than letting the wagon carry the load.  Cast your heavy burden upon the Lord who cares for you.  He'll take your burden and leave you with a song.  

1     When I, a poor, lost sinner,
Before the Lord did fall,
And in the name of Jesus
For pardon loud did call;
He heard my supplication,
And soon the weak was strong,
For Jesus took my burden,
And left me with a song.
Chorus:
Yes, Jesus took my burden
I could no longer bear,
Yes, Jesus took my burden
In answer to my prayer;
My anxious fears subsided
My spirit was made strong,
For Jesus took my burden,
And let me with a song.

2      Ofttimes the way is dreary,
And rugged seems the road,
Ofttimes i'm weak and weary,
When bent beneath some load;
But when I cry in weakness, 
"How long, O Lord, how long?"
Then Jesus takes the burden,
And leaves we with a song.
Chorus:
Yes, Jesus took my burden
I could no longer bear,
Yes, Jesus took my burden
In answer to my prayer;
My anxious fears subsided
My spirit was made strong,
For Jesus took my burden,
And let me with a song.

3      When I was crushed with sorrow
I bowed in deep despair,
My load of grief and heartache
Seemed more than I could bear;
'Twas when I heard a whisper,
"You to the lord belong,"
Then Jesus took my burden,
And left me with a song. 
Chorus:
Yes, Jesus took my burden
I could no longer bear,
Yes, Jesus took my burden
In answer to my prayer;
My anxious fears subsided
My spirit was made strong,
For Jesus took my burden,
And let me with a song.

4      I'll trust Him for the future,
He knoweth all the way,
For with His eye He'll guide me
Along life's pilgrim way;
And I will tell in heaven,
While ages roll along, 
How Jesus took my burden,
And left me with a song. [
Chorus:
Yes, Jesus took my burden
I could no longer bear,
Yes, Jesus took my burden
In answer to my prayer;
My anxious fears subsided
My spirit was made strong,
For Jesus took my burden,
And let me with a song.

Listen to it here.  BURDENS

1 comment:

Marlene R. said...

I have been reading your blogs for the past few weeks. I also left a few comments, although I no longer see them.

Today's blog is a beautiful story. I have not heard about this song before.

PLEASE don't close down due to being discouraged and thinking that no one reads your messages. We do. Even if you only have ten or less, it is worth it to those ten than to close down.

God Bless you, Brother.