Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, May 24, 2020

HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW (TH/PEACE #9)

          Unemployment, retirement fund loses, shelter in place, sudden deaths, social distancing, closure of schools and churches, shortages of toilet paper and food, economic disaster ... so many unexpected major problems in such a short time.
          It is not surprising that so many are worried, discouraged and troubled.  We've never seen anything like it and we wonder if anything will ever be back to normal once again.  Is there any hope left in this life?
          Looking out our kitchen window I often enjoy watching dozens of birds who daily come to feast at our bird feeders.  And I am often reminded how the Lord cares for these small members of his creation. "Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" (Matthew 6:26).  "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29–31).  
          The birds are a daily reminder to me of my Father's care for me.  Often I need that reminder when facing the toils, discouragements and cares of daily living.  These scriptures were the inspiration for this week's song which has encouraged listeners for over a century.
          According to Civilla Martin, writer of the lyrics, "Early in the spring of 1905, my husband and I were sojourning in Elmira, New York. We contracted a deep friendship for a couple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle - true saints of God. Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for nearly twenty years. Her husband was an incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from his business in a wheel chair. Despite their afflictions, they lived happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. 
           One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle's reply was simple: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."  The beauty of this simple expression of boundless faith gripped the hearts and fired the imagination of Dr. Martin and me. The hymn "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was the outcome of that experience." 
          The next day she mailed the poem to Charles Gabriel, who supplied the music. Singer Ethel Waters helped make this song popular and she so loved this song that she used its name as the title for her autobiography.  
          Of course I don't know all that is going on in your life right now, but I am sure that you, too, often face times of frustration, challenge and discouragement.  In those times be reminded that, if you are a child of God, He will take care of you.  Your heart need not be troubled.  He is your constant friend and will put a song in your heart as you experience His care, comfort and leading - even during a pandemic.  If He can see and care for the sparrow, certainly He will see and care for you. 
           "For His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me!"  Be encouraged, God is in control!

(1)     Why should I feel discouraged, 
why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, 
and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? 
My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, 
and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, 
and I know He watches me.
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

(2)     "Let not your heart be troubled," 
His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, 
I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, 
but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, 
and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, 
and I know He watches me.
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

(3)     Whenever I am tempted, 
whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, 
when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, 
from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, 
and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, 
and I know He watches me.
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Listen to it here.    SPARROW

No comments: