Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

HE WILL HOLD ME FAST (TH/PEACE #5)



        Many believers go through times when their faith wavers and doubts begin to cloud their mind.  Circumstances often make one wonder if their faith is real and if the Lord really cares about them.   Will He really carry us through our days of uneasiness and turmoil?  But as we claim His promises to us we know that He will never leave us or forsake us.  He will hold us fast.  
          Many of us may have concerns now as we wrestle with this deadly virus.  Does anybody really care about us?  Where is God during these dangerous times?  Haven't many of us had these questions as we faced these terrible times and as our lives have been changed?
          Robert Harkness (1880–1961) was a gifted Australian pianist who traveled the world in his twenties with the evangelist R.A..Torrey.  He wrote over 2,000 hymns and Gospel songs in his lifetime.  One night, at an evangelistic rally in Canada, Harkness met a young man, recently converted, who feared he might not be able to "hold out." Harkness longed for the young man and countless others to have confidence deep in their souls that their finishing the race, and keeping the faith, did not fall finally to themselves. He wanted them to know that God finishes what he starts.  
          After the unsettling conversation with this convert, Harkness wondered how he might help other Christians celebrate the power of God's sustaining hand in our perseverance and have this sweet truth bore deep into our souls. The answer was obvious for a musician  - a song.  He mentioned the need in a letter to London hymn writer Ada Habershon (1861–1918).  He shared the need for songs to encourage "definite assurance of success in the Christian life."   Inspired, she wrote seven. One she called "When I Fear My Faith Will Fail."  Harkness then wrote the original tune. 
          A century later an American worship pastor in Washington, D.C., Matt Merker, took out Habershon's words, given to him by a member of the congregation, during a trying season. He found fresh comfort and hope in the lyrics, put new music to the old hymn, and added a third verse. He shared the song with his wife and then his senior pastor, Mark Dever, who thought the church should try singing it. "The church quickly owned the song and began singing it with joy (and really loud voices!)." 
          Word soon spread and churches far and wide now sing Habershon's old hymn with Merker's new tune. Says Merker, "It reinvigorates us to know that God is in control and He will preserve us to the end."   Not only will God keep his people, but He delights to do so. Not only does He hold us fast, but He does so with great joy. And there is no safer place to be in the universe than hidden with Jesus in the heart of God's delight. (Philippians 1:6, 1 Thessalonians 5:24; Hebrews 10:23).  
          If today you are wrestling with concerns about your faith and future, trust the Lord to keep His promises and be assured that He will hold you fast until our faith is turned to sight, when He comes again at last.

1.     When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast;
When the tempter would prevail, He will hold me fast.
I could never keep my hold through life's fearful path;
For my love is often cold; He must hold me fast.
He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

2.     Those He saves are His delight, Christ will hold me fast;
Precious in his holy sight, He will hold me fast.
He'll not let my soul be lost; His promises shall last;
Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.
He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

3.     For my life He bled and died, Christ will hold me fast;
Justice has been satisfied; He will hold me fast.
Raised with Him to endless life, He will hold me fast
'Till our faith is turned to sight, When He comes at last!
He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

Listen to it here.   HOLD ME FAST 

No comments: