Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

DOES JESUS CARE (TH/PEACE #1)


        Worldwide we are being attacked by a new virus that is drastically changing our lives.  Stores, businesses, schools and churches are closed and we are generally confined to our homes waiting to see if we develop any symptoms of this deadly virus.  Many of us are facing stress, fear, anxiety and loneliness.
          What can we do about it?  Obviously we can follow the recommendations of the experts about hand washing, cleaning items, adequate separation from others, etc.  But as Christians we need to take advantage of this new available time to read our Bibles and pray.  There is nothing new about this suggestion, but unfortunately it is often forgotten.  But God wants to comfort us and lead us in the good times and the bad.  We just need to listen and obey.
          Now one of the best helps that I have been using is listening to Gospel music.  There are lessons to be learned and emotions to be calmed through good Christian music.  As I've been experiencing this I have been led to change the direction of my hymn blog, at least for a few weeks.  I want to share some of the hymns which have spoken to me.  Most of them have been shared here over the years.  But I feel led to share them again for our help as we face these new pressures today.
          Frank E. Graeff was a Methodist pastor who served several churches around Philadelphia.  It is said that he was a special friend to children and an encouragement to everyone who knew him. Graeff was known by many as the "sunshine minister".  By the way, why not be an encourager in these difficult times.  People around you need encouragement and you'll be surprised how much you will benefit from doing this.  
          But the sunshine minister also went through some severe testing experiences and resulting periods of despondency. It was while passing through one of these tests that he became very despondent, full of doubt and full of physical agony. Turning to the scriptures for solace and strength he found that I Peter 5:7 spoke to his need. "Casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you." This was the inspiration that led him to pen the words of the great hymn "Does Jesus Care?" Each one of the verses of Graeff's hymn asks some intensely personal and important questions, and the answer is always "Oh yes, He cares." 
          So today does Jesus care when we are confined to our home because of this virus?  Does Jesus care when we lose our job because of the virus?  Does He care when we lose our savings because the stock market crashes?  Does He care when we have symptoms of he virus?  Does He care when family members or friends develop the virus?  Does He care when we develop the virus and then the deadly pneumonia?  As Graeff wrote, "Oh yes, He cares."
          May each of us remember that truth as today we face the unknown.  And may we learn to trust the Lord and the path He has prepared for us.  God is good, all the time!.

(1)     Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress
And the way grows weary and long?
Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

(2)     Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?
Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

(3)     Does Jesus care when I've tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief there is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?
Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

(4)     Does Jesus care when I've said "goodbye"
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks,
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?
Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Listen to it here.   CARE

1 comment:

ahmed zohaib said...

I wanted to say that this article is amazing and wonderful Ahmed zohaib