Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

IN THE SECRET OF HIS PRESENCE


          "Thou shalt hide them in the secret of Thy presence." Psalm 31:20.  For the believer there is no better place to be than in the presence of the Savior.  It is the place to go when Satan comes to tempt us or when our soul is faint and thirsty.  There we can commune with Him and share our doubts, our griefs and our fears. No appointments needed.  No waiting to be seen.  No time limits on our meeting.  No restrictions on our topics. What an amazing privilege He grants to His children.  The words of this hymn were penned by Ellen Goreh, a high-caste native of India, in 1883. After her conversion to Christianity, it is said that she spent some years in the home of an English clergyman where she wrote the poem.  It made its appearance in a book of poems of which she also was the author. The hymn was first sung by George Stebbins as an offertory in one of the churches in Brooklyn, New York. Stebbins is credited with adding the music.  It was often repeated as an offertory, and on occasions was sung in evangelistic services. But it had its larger introduction to the public during the All-Winter Mission conducted by Moody and Sankey in London in the winter of 1883-84, when Sankey sang it frequently. So did Stebbins, who spent several months assisting in the mission. The hymn at once was appreciated and the deeply spiritual tone of the words brought blessing to many.  It soon found its way into all parts of the world.  Dr. Hudson Taylor, head of the great China Inland Mission, said that it was the favorite hymn of his missionaries.  It is also interesting to note that Mr. and Mrs. Stebbins later spent a summer in India. While visiting the city of Allahabad, the home of Miss Goreh,  Stebbins sought her out and made her acquaintance. He found her engaged in mission work among the women of India.  He found her to be a modest, devoted Christian, held in high esteem by missionaries of all denominations and by all who knew her. Thus the two singers, whose names had become associated in Christian song, met each other, one from the far East, and one from beyond far Western seas, but both inspired by the same Lord.   Are you stressed, worried or perplexed today?  Do you have burdens or concerns that you need to share?  Then spend some time today in the presence of the Lord where you can freely share with Him.  He is available at any time and in any place.  He welcomes you.


1.     In the secret of His presence
how my soul delights to hide!
Oh, how precious are the lessons
which I learn at Jesus' side!
Earthly cares can never vex me,
neither trials lay me low;
For when Satan comes to tempt me,
to the secret place I go,
To the secret place I go.

2.     When my soul is faint and thirsty,
'neath the shadow of His wing
There is cool and pleasant shelter,
and a fresh and crystal spring;
And my Savior rests beside me,
as we hold communion sweet:
If I tried, I could not utter
what He says when thus we meet,
What He says when thus we meet.

3.     Only this I know: I tell Him all my doubts,
my griefs and fears;
Oh, how patiently He listens! and
my drooping soul He cheers:
Do you think He ne'er reproves me?
What a false Friend He would be,
If He never, never told me of the sins
which He must see,
Of the sins which He must see.

4.     Would you like to know the sweetness
of the secret of the Lord?
Go and hide beneath His shadow:
this shall then be your reward;
And whene'er you leave the silence
of that happy meeting place,
You must mind and bear the
image of the Master in your face,
Of the Master in your face.

You can listen to it here.   LISTEN

No comments: