Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

IMMORTAL, INVISIBLE - (TH#10)


          TIMELESS HYMNS - A special feature where I highlight some of the hymns that have been featured previously in this blog.  These entries are revised and expanded and shared again for your encouragement and challenge.  This hymn was first shared here on November 30, 2008.


         As a young believer I loved hymns, but I didn't really care too much for some of the older more formal hymns that were sung.  I  enjoyed hymns with pep and back-time, some four part harmony, and words that really ministered to my needs as a young man.  I admit that this week's hymn was not one of my favorites at that time.  But it is interesting that how, as we mature spiritually, the words and theology of hymns become more meaningful, interesting and important to us.  As I've grown older, truths like those expressed in this week's hymn have made a real impact on my life and faith. I've learned how important it is to be reminded of the great attributes of our loving, almighty God and to celebrate these vital truths. Babies thrive on milk; but as we mature, we need solid food.  I am thrilled and comforted to recognize that God indeed is all knowing, all powerful, and always present, no matter where I might be.  He is the ancient of days, glorious, victorious and alone deserves our praise.  He rules in might and with justice.  As believers we need to praise Him for these attributes in all of our prayer and worship.  And I am reminded how frail we really are - we blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree and then wither and perish. But God does not change. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Now this hymn is one of my favorites.  It is a powerful hymn of worship that should make us fall at His feet in awe and reverence. He is not "the man upstairs" or "our buddy" as so many people refer to Him today.  People try to bring Him down to their level, but He alone is God, although He is also our friend!  He alone is awesome, yet He cares for us. The theme of this hymn is based on I Timothy 1:17, "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever". This hymn was written by Walter Chalmers Smith, a pastor of the Free Church of Scotland, and published in 1867.  The original version had six verses.   May your heart be gripped with awe and amazement as you worship Him by singing these words today.

(1)     Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great Name we praise.

(2)   Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
Thy justice, like mountains, high soaring above
Thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.

(3)   To all, life Thou givest, to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish - but naught changeth Thee.

(4)    Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
All laud we would render; O help us to see
'Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee,

Listen to it here.   LISTEN1
For those who like more "upbeat" versions, you might try this one.  LISTEN2

No comments: