Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

IF WE COULD SEE BEYOND TODAY


The older that I become the more that I have learned to thank the Lord daily for another day and ask for His strength and guidance for the new day.  I've also learned to thank Him that He knows my tomorrows and will provide the strength and grace for all that might happen then.  For we never know what a day may bring.  But He does.  I've often wondered if I would really want to know what lies ahead.  It might be good if it were something like a promotion, a special healing, a victory of some type or something good like that. It might even help explain  to us our present trials, especially if they had a good outcome.  But what if it were the knowledge of an unexpected sudden death of a family member or friend ... or an announcement of cancer ... or the loss of a job, income or savings ... or a rejection of some type ... or an accident?  Then we would worry and fret and probably fail to trust God fully for tomorrow. We would miss the blessings of today. This hymn reminds us "But God in love a veil doth throw across our way. We cannot see what lies before, And so we cling to Him the more."  And we do have God's promises that He will never leave us or forsake us and that He works all things together for good for those in His family.  And He has promised to prepare a place for us in heaven where there will be no more tears or sufferings and we will be with Him there eternally.  These truths are shared in Norman Clayton's (1902 - 1992) beautiful hymn.  A church organist for five decades, Clayton played the organ for Jack Wyrtzen's Word of Life rallies in New York City, and worked as a writer-editor for the Rodeheaver Company.  Clayton said that his usual practice was to write the music first before the words. He felt that it was vitally important that every song he wrote be biblically based.  He actually produced some 30 books of gospel songs and wrote many of the familiar songs and choruses that were sung in the last part of the last century. There is also some difference of opinion on whether Clayton wrote both the text and music for this hymn.  Some sources say that the words were written by an anonymous author and others, including hymnbooks say Clayton wrote both.  Now if he wrote the words to this song, I do not know what led him to write them. But, I can only imagine that he, like most of us, experienced events that just seemed to have no purpose.  And when that happens we can't help but wonder why.  Why would God allow our friend to be taken home so early in life?  Why would we be overtaken by such a dreaded disease at this point in our life?   Why would a loving God allow these worldwide events to happen?   And on and on we go with our questions.  And there are often no answers now.  But we know that God is in control and until that day when we understand His actions, we cling to Him the more and we trust and obey.  Maybe today you are perplexed and questioning God about events.  Be encouraged by the truth of this gospel song and rest in His grace and goodness this week.


(1)     If we could see beyond today
As God can see,
If all the clouds should roll away,
The shadows flee;
O'er present griefs we would not fret, 
Each sorrow we would soon forget,
For many joys are waiting yet
For you and me.

(2)     If we could know beyond today
As God doth know,
Why dearest treasures pass away,
And tears must flow;
And why the darkness leads to light,
Why dreary days will soon grow bright, 
Some day life's wrong will be made right,
Faith tells us so.

(3)    If we could see, if we could know
We often say,
But God in love a veil doth throw
Across our way.
We cannot see what lies before,
And so we cling to Him the more,
He leads us till this life is o'er,
Trust and obey.

Listen to it being sung here.    LISTEN

6 comments:

KK said...

Where can I find sheet music for it?

Anonymous said...

Sorry that I don't have your email, Ibut you might look at this site or do a google search:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/favorites-best-of-volume-2-sheet-music/4923662

Hope you are successful

sharkysgal said...

I was looking for the words to this hymn and really needing some encouragement. I stumbling unto your blog site during my search, and I was really encouraged by the comments as well as the hymn. Probably even more encouraging was knowing that there is someone else out there in the world at large that still values these old hymns! So often I am encouraged and strengthened spiritually by the words of a hymn. Please keep on keeping on! I have never left a comment before on any blog or followed one. I am hoping to get my children to help me figure out the process, because this is the kind of encouragement that I could use on a regular basis! Thank you so much for your efforts here! May God bless you as you serve our great Savior!

Anonymous said...

Pastor Straus sang this song to his congregation when he announced he had terminal cancer. He stated he taught us for years how to live from the Word. Now he would share in the short time he had left how one dies. We were blessed by his teaching, from the Word and by his example. This song remains a beacon of truth and comfort when I am without answersn in life, thanks to him.

Anonymous said...

My mom passed away two years ago and when we were going through her papers we came across this hymn. She had handwritten the lyrics to this and I suppose she Wrote sometime after my dad died. I’m sure it gave her comfort to read the words, as it now comforts us when we remember her.

Nell Ruch said...

Again and again the words of this gospel song come to me...bringing comfort and challenge. Thank you, Barry, for the years of thinking, research and effort that has gone into "Hymns With A Message".