Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU


God's marvelous grace is vital to the life of each believer.  It is by God's grace, God's Riches At Christ's Expense, that we are saved - it is the gift of God and not our own doing (Ephesians 2:8,9)  And it is through His grace that we are able to face each day and the challenges that are part of our journey on this earth.  And by His grace we experience the love, joy and peace that He freely provides for His children.  His grace is sufficient for our salvation and our daily lives.  And it is also by His grace that we will someday spend eternity with Him in our home in heaven which He is graciously preparing for us. His grace is sufficient for all that we face and need. Now all of us do face challenges of life here.  Even the Apostle Paul pleaded three times with the Lord that his thorn in the flesh would leave.  In 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV), Paul writes "But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." Thomas Mosie Lister sang in several gospel quartets in the 1940's, but he sang only a short time due to health reasons.  From that point on he concentrated on writing gospel music and primarily wrote for the top gospel groups of that day.  In her book "Stories Behind 50 Southern Gospel Favorites", Lindsay Terry records an interview with Mosie Lister where he discusses the story behind "His Grace Is Sufficient For Me."  In that interview Lister said the song "… was literally a gift from God.  In the mid 1960's, I realized I had gone for an incredibly long time without writing a song that had real worth, that really meant something.  ... Though I sometimes worked on songs for several months, I never thought they were difficult to write.  I had never been through a dry spell like that before.  I  began to search my mind and my heart.  ...  One morning I was driving downtown to pick up my mail.  On the way I started thinking about how long it had been since I had written a song, and I just sincerely and honestly prayed to God about it.  I told Him that I felt that I might be at a place in my life where He was pointing me in another direction, away from writing music.  Yet I really loved it and felt that it was given to me from Him.  I told God that I was despondent over not writing anything in a long time, and that I just didn't understand the reasons for it.  I said, 'Right now I just give You whatever ability I have.  If You want me to go in another direction and leave writing, I'll do that, and I will be happy about it.  I just need to know what Your will is.  If you'll show me Your will, I'll do it.'  After returning home, I did what I had done very often in those days.  I took my guitar, sat down, and started strumming and humming to myself.  I found myself singing, 'Many times I'm tried and tested as I travel day by day … .'  I was on the second verse before it dawned on me what I was doing.  It occurred to me that this was a new song, and I hadn't written one in over a year.  I then thought of the verse in Scripture where Paul says, 'My Grace is sufficient for thee'.  That became the chorus of my song.  Since then, I've never doubted that I'm doing exactly what God wants me to do.  I feel that this song came along when I needed its message for my own heart."   Maybe the words of  Lister's song, written in 1965, are the message which you need this week.  For whatever challenge you are facing, His grace is sufficient for you - now and for the future.  Let the joy of that truth flood your soul and mind this week.

(1)     Many times I'm tried and tested 
As I travel day by day 
Oft I meet with pain and sorrow 
And there's trouble in the way. 
But I have a sweet assurance 
That my soul the Lord will lead 
And in Him there is strength for every need. 

O, His grace is sufficient for me. 
And His love is abundant and free. 
And what joy fills my soul, 
Just to know, just to know 
That His grace is sufficient for me. 

(2)     When the tempter brings confusion 
And I don't know what to do, 
On my knees I turn to Jesus 
For He'll always see me through 
Then despair is changed to victory. 
Every doubt just melts away 
And in Him there is hope for everyday.

O, His grace is sufficient for me. 
And His love is abundant and free. 
And what joy fills my soul, 
Just to know, just to know 
That His grace is sufficient for me. 

Listen to the Booth Brothers sing this song here.   LISTEN

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

SALVATION WITHOUT FORGIVENESS BY STEVE FINNELL

Is it possible to be saved without having your sins forgiven? Was Saul saved by faith alone before his sins were forgiven?

If Saul was saved on the road to Damascus, then he was saved without having his sins forgiven.

Saul believed in Jesus on the road Damascus, but his sins were forgiven three days later in Damascus
Act 9:1-19......9 And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank....

Saul sins were forgiven in Damascus, three days later, not on the road to Damascus.
Acts 22:1-16.....10 And I said, 'What shall I do Lord?' And the Lord said to me, 'Get up and go into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.'.......16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins,calling on His name!

Saul was not saved by faith only. Saul was saved by believing and being baptized in water.

Jesus did not establish faith only salvation on the road to Damascus. Jesus confirmed what He already had said "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved"... (Mark 16:16)

You cannot be saved unless your sins have been forgiven.

In order to support the doctrine of faith only men have offered many reasons why the Scriptures cannot be trusted.
REASONS.
1. The Bible is not the inerrant word of God, it has many errors and contradictions.
2. You have to be a Greek scholar to understand the Bible. If you understand the original Greek language, then you would know water baptism is not essential for forgiveness of sins.
3. You need to use extra-Biblical writings to understand the plan of salvation.
4. The Bible has been mistranslated, therefore men are saved by faith only and not the way it is presented in the Bible.

If God is not smart enough to give men an accurate translation of His plan for salvation and Christian living, then why would anyone trust in Him for salvation or for anything else.

God has given us His plan of salvation in many translations, in different languages. You do not have to know Greek.You do not have to have a Greek dictionary. You do have to be Greek. If men had to be able to read and understand original Greek to understand the Bible, then all Bibles would be in Greek.

GOD IS INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO GUIDE MEN TO GIVE A TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE IN THE LANGUAGE THAT YOU READ! JUST READ IT AND BELIEVE IT.

Men are not saved by faith only and there is no verse of Scripture that states men are saved by faith only. Men are saved by faith, but not by faith only.

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com