Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

SEEKING THE LOST

On July 22 our church, Faith Bible Fellowship Church of Lancaster, PA, reached a special milestone - the 60th anniversary of its first service. For several days I have been sharing my memories (http://barrysbasicblog.blogspot.com/) of these 60 years since I am one of only two remaining living persons still attending Faith who attended the first service. As I was preparing these memories my mind went back to some of the hymns that were sung during the early years. This week's choice was one of those that quickly came to mind. As a youngster I loved this hymn because the men took the lead in the chorus and the women sang the back time. It was fun to join the men as their deep voices sounded out the melody and theme. Remembering this hymn also made me realize that at times "seeking the lost" almost seems to be a missing message in today's church music and programs. Oh that we might never lose the zeal to share the Gospel to the many around us who need to come to the Savior. While I don't know anything about the events behind the writing , we do know that William Augustine Ogden (1841 - 1897) is the writer, I am told that when Ogden was six years old, his family moved from Ohio to Indiana. He began studying music in local singing schools at age 8, and could read church music fairly well by age 10. A little later, he could write a melody by hearing it sung or played. When he was 18, he became a chorister in his home church. At the outbreak of the American Civil War, Ogden enlisted in the 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. During the war he organized a male choir, which became well known throughout the Army of the Cumberland. After the war, Ogden returned home and resumed his musical studies. As his skills developed, Ogden issued his first song book, Silver Song, in 1870 and it became immensely popular, selling 500,000 copies. He went on to publish numerous other song books. In addition to composing, Ogden taught at many schools in in the United States and Canada. In 1887, he became superintendent of music in the public schools of Toledo, Ohio. Some of his more popular hymns were "He Is Able to Deliver Thee" and "I've a Message from the Lord".

(1) Seeking the lost, yes, kindly entreating
Wanderers on the mountain astray
"Come unto Me," His message repeating
Words of the Master speaking today.

Going afar (going afar)
Upon the mountain (upon the mountain)
Bringing the wanderer back again, back again
Into the fold (into the fold)
Of my Redeemer (of my Redeemer)
Jesus the Lamb for sinners slain, for sinners slain.


(2) Seeking the lost and pointing to Jesus
Souls that are weak and hearts that are sore
Leading them forth in ways of salvation
Showing the path to life evermore.

Going afar (going afar)
Upon the mountain (upon the mountain)
Bringing the wanderer back again, back again
Into the fold (into the fold)
Of my Redeemer (of my Redeemer)
Jesus the Lamb for sinners slain, for sinners slain.

(3) Thus would I go on missions of mercy
Following Christ from day unto day
Cheering the faint and raising the fallen
Pointing the lost to Jesus, the Way.

Going afar (going afar)
Upon the mountain (upon the mountain)
Bringing the wanderer back again, back again
Into the fold (into the fold)
Of my Redeemer (of my Redeemer)
Jesus the Lamb for sinners slain, for sinners slain.

Since I imagine that this week's choice might be new to many of you, please take time to listen to it sung here and enjoy hearing the male lead in the chorus. LISTEN.

3 comments:

robert said...

Greatly enjoyed reading your reminiscences. It's a wonderful thing to be able to be able to look back on 60 years of a church's ministry. The church where I was interim pastor for a couple of years celebrated their 60th while I was there, and it was quite an event. Then, last week-end, I had the privilege of ministering in music at the same church, when they dedicated a beautiful new building to the Lord. A wonderful blessing!

I agree with you about "Seeking the Lost," on two counts. Enjoyable to sing that bass line in the refrain.

Also, I think you're right that there are few gospel songs about evangelism, and songs of invitation today. So many churches are flooded with contemporary "worship choruses." The better ones are fine. But they shouldn't be a steady diet. They are not enough to "teach and admonish one another" with!

The church where my wife and I fellowship now still sings the traditional hymnody--along with some choruses now and then. Today being Thanksgiving Sunday in Canada, that will be our theme.

And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” With the arrival of fall, we begin to think of the Christmas season up ahead. If you do not have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at mine, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog while seaching for the music for "Seeking the Lost". I woke up this morning with it running through my mind but have not been able to find music for it on the internet--any ideas?
Enjoyed you blog--we are all challenged these days as far as music is concerned. I am one of the very lucky ones that can go to the piano and, if I have the music, can play any song that comes to mind. What a blessing. My husband are looking for ways to share it with others who miss these wonderful hymns.
Thanks--I will bookmark your blog--

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, if you'll send me an email at fbfawana@aol.com with your request, I might be able to get a copy for you. Not sure how else to reply to you.