Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

NEARER STILL NEARER

It's funny how you often recall unusual instances from the early years of your life. I can recall a time when, as a very small child, I was trying to memorize James 4:8 on a Sunday morning on the way to church. "Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you". It was frustrating and I kept jumbling up the words because I really didn't understand the words and really didn't comprehend the scriptural principle. But today I remember that incident and the verse as well. Often it serves a reminder to me that God is always there to direct, comfort and provide strength if I but draw near to Him and depend upon Him. But isn't it strange how often instead we rely on our own strength? But this week's choice, a hymn that my wife and I used to sing as a duet, reminds us of the need to be drawn to the heart of God every moment of every day, in the good times and in the difficult times. The hymn writer, Leila Morris lived in Ohio and with her mother and sister where they operated a millinery shop for many years. She later married Charles H. Morris, and the couple was active in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and at holiness camp meetings. Leila was encouraged to write hymns by H. L. Gilmour (who wrote the gospel song The Haven of Rest) and she went on to write over 1,000 of them, in addition to many tunes. She did this despite the fact that her eyes began to fail later in her life. In fact, in 1913 her son built a 28-foot blackboard with oversized staff lines so she could continue composing. I don't know anything about the circumstances surrounding the writing of this particular hymn, but I assume it came out of her personal experiences in her walk with the Lord. Meditate upon these great words and draw nigh to the Father throughout your daily walk.

(1) Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart,
Draw me, my Savior so precious Thou art!
Fold me, oh, fold me close to Thy breast.
Shelter me safe in that "Haven of Rest";
Shelter me safe in that "Haven of Rest."

(2) Nearer, still nearer, nothing I bring,
Naught as an offering to Jesus, my King;
Only my sinful, now contrite heart.
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.

(3) Nearer, still nearer, Lord, to be Thine!
Sin, with its follies, I gladly resign,
All of its pleasures, pomp and its pride,
Give me but Jesus, my Lord, crucified.
Give me but Jesus, my Lord, crucified.

(4) Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last.
Till safe in glory my anchor is cast;
Through endless ages ever to be
Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee;
Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee!

Listen to this week's hymn here. LISTEN

No comments: