Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

GUIDE ME, O THOU GREAT JEHOVAH

William Williams, the "Sweet Singer of Wales" produced about 800 hymns. "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" was his first in 1745. This very personal hymn seeks the same care that God gave the Israelites in the wilderness: "Bread of heaven", the manna in the wilderness, "Open now the crystal fountain", water from the rock, "Let the fire and cloudy pillar", the pillar God used to guide them and protect them in the wilderness. This hymn has been translated into seventy-five languages. It is so loved in Wales that it is considered an unofficial national anthem. Williams, a converted doctor who became a preacher, lived as a pilgrim, pressing through the snow of winter, the rains of springtime, and the heat of summer. He once was beaten by mobs and cheered by crowds, but in all his travels he sought only to do the will of God until his death at 74. He is said to have traveled over 95,000 miles, drawing crowds of 10,000 or more. Many are the stories of this beautiful anthem giving people strength in time of adversity. Three women missionaries in China, with bandits outside their door, sang this as though nothing was wrong, receiving comfort and courage from their "Strong Deliverer". In the trenches of Flanders during World War I, it was sung so melodiously by the Welch soldiers that the German soldiers also took it up. Miners sang it on their way to the mines. It could be spontaneously sung at Welsh sporting events, and was sung at Princess Diana's funeral. The wife of President James Garfield is said to have sung this hymn to her husband as he was dying of an assassin's bullet. Consider the words as you ask Jehovah to guide your every step.

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim though this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more,
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer.
be thou still my Strength and Shield,
be thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
bear me through the swelling current,
land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee,
I will ever give to thee.

Listen to this hymn here. LISTEN

No comments: