Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, June 30, 2024

NOW I BELONG TO JESUS. (TH)

TIMELESS HYMNS - A regular feature in which I choose a previous hymn blog, revise it and post it again.  This one was first posted in 2014          

 

          Some of my best memories growing up were the weeknight prayer meetings which used to be well attended by believers.  My favorite part of those gatherings was the testimony time when most of those attending would share and thank the Lord for what He had done for them.   These were often times of encouragement for many of us, especially as we heard how God was answering prayer.  

          But in between those testimonies folks would, as the Lord led them, start choruses and we would all join in singing them.  One chorus that I remember that was a favorite was "Now I Belong To Jesus".  It was a reminder that because of His great sacrifice for us, and His grace and mercy, that we indeed were His and in turn He was ours - an amazing personal relationship.  And that relationship is eternal.  

          But seldom did we sing the verses that also share a powerful message.  His love is eternal and nothing can sever it.  Once we were lost without any hope but He left heaven and came to earth to provide our salvation.  And joy should flood our souls since Jesus has saved us.  And we belong to Him.  

          The words were penned by Norman Clayton whose hymns we have featured in this blog before.  The ninth of ten children, Clayton was converted at the age of six.  He became church organist at 12 and kept the role of church organist the rest of his life.  Clayton's profession was in the building industry, but he also created his own publishing house, Gospel Songs, which was later absorbed into the Rodeheaver Company. 

          In 1942 he was working with Jack Wyrtzen's Word of Life organization, providing music for both the radio broadcasts and crusade meetings.  He composed the tune Ellsworth that year, and wrote the words for this fine gospel song about a year later.  He had the habit of writing the music before the words. He made it a lifelong practice to memorize Scripture and tried, each time he wrote the words of a song, to be sure that its message was clearly biblical. Clayton wrote hundreds of hymns and they were singable, musically sweet and tender of sentiment.  They reflected his evangelical emphasis, focused on the saving work of Christ and the relationship with God through Him.  This emphasis is certainly emphasized in this week's hymn choice.  

         Hopefully, as you read the words of Clayton's hymn this week, you will be reminded of the special personal relationship that believers have with the Lord Jesus.  Nothing can compare with that.  May joy flood your soul as you thank Him for making this a reality ... not just for the years of time alone, but for eternity!

 

(1)    Jesus, my Lord will love me forever,

From Him no pow'r of evil can sever,

He gave His life to ransom my soul;

Now I belong to Him; 

Now I belong to Jesus,

Jesus belongs to me,

Not for the years of time alone,

But for eternity.

 

(2)    Once I was lost in sin's degradation,

Jesus came down to bring me salvation,

Lifted me up from sorrow and shame,

Now I belong to Him; 

Now I belong to Jesus,

Jesus belongs to me,

Not for the years of time alone,

But for eternity.

 

(3)    Joy floods my soul for Jesus has saved me,

Freed me from sin that long had enslaved me

His precious blood, He came to redeem,

Now I belong to Him; 

Now I belong to Jesus,

Jesus belongs to me,

Not for the years of time alone,

But for eternity. 

 

Listen to it here.   BELONG 




No comments: