Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, April 14, 2024

HE LOVED ME

            "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

              As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

          Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

              For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

          Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  

Romans 8:35-39


          Tom Fettke and Doug Holck used these powerful scriptures to write this week's hymn concerning God's power to choose, redeem, and keep us from the power of Satan. Nothing can separate us from Him. Victory is ours through Him. No creature can take us or our victory away.

          Born in 1941, for many years Fettke taught vocal music in California's public school systems. He served as church choir director and minister of music in churches large and small for over thirty years. While at the Redwood Christian School System in Castro Valley, California, Mr. Fettke held the positions Director of Choral Activities and Supervisor of Music.  He was the senior editor of The Hymnal for Worship & Celebration and the senior editor of The Celebration Hymnal.

           Music dominated his life since he was five years old. His parents sacrificed mightily to provide him with training in the arts which included voice and piano lessons, drama lessons and even ballet lessons. His interest in the arts did not waver as he continued to mature. An interest in choral music came early in his development. 

          He began attending a small church as a result of the missionary outreach of his next-door neighbor. Because the church consisted of a small number of followers, he was privileged to participate in church musical activities at a much earlier age then is probably normal. The Youth for Christ movement, most noted for their Saturday Night Youth Rallies, was the most influential experience of his young life. These rallies were loaded with musical opportunities and were a catalyst for putting his music performing as well as writing gifts to work.

          He began church choir directing when he was 19.  At 31 years of age he had the opportunity to show his compositions to a publisher. All three of the ones he submitted were accepted. Since then, many of his works, like this one, have been used to encourage folks around the world. He has published over 800 compositions and arrangements (some under the pseudonyms Robert F. Douglas and David J. Allen) and produced a number of recordings.

          May this hymn encourage you this week to put your complete trust in the One who has chosen you and will protect you with the love of God, for eternity.

 

He chose me before the world was known.
He chose me to be His very own

He made me, then let me choose my way.  

I chose to move away.

 

He loved me when hope had taken wing

He loved me when I lost everything

He bought me redemption’s work was done 
thro’ Jesus Christ His Son

 

Who shall separate me from the love of God 
shall dreams of tomorrow

Pain or sorrow 
can the need of food

or earthly possessions, 
the threat of war or man’s oppression?

In all these things

Vict’ry is our reward,

Vict’ry is our reward through Jesus Christ our Lord

 

Of this I am sure 
that neither death, nor life.
 nor angels nor principalities

Nor powers, nor things present 
nor things to come

Not height, nor depth,

Nor any creature 
shall separate me from the love of God
Through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Listen here    CHOSEN

 




No comments: