Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, September 17, 2023

MUST I GO AND EMPTY-HANDED

          Sadly, we may regret not taking an opportunity to share the good news of the gospel with those who are lost in sin.  Then, too late we see them pass into eternal judgement when it is too late for their salvation.
          Charles Luther (1847-1924) was a journalist and lay evangelist before being ordained as a Baptist minister in 1886.  He wrote about 25 hymn texts.
          Then in 1877 he heard Rev. A. G. Upham relate the story of a young man who was about to die.  He'd only been a Christian for a month and sorrowed because he had so little time to serve the Lord. He said "I am not afraid to die.  Jesus saves me now.  But, oh must I go empty handed?"  This incident prompted the writing of this hymn.
          The music was written by George Coles Stebbins (1847-1945) when Luther gave him the words.  The complete hymn was first published in Gospel Hymns No. 3 in 1876.
          "As long as it is day, we must do the work of Him who sent Me.  Night is coming, when no one can work."  John 9:4. The song encourages each Christian to think about the need to be active in soul winning while he can.
          Now as you contemplate the words of this hymn, there are two questions that you must answer.  First, have you experienced God's gift of salvation?  Are you right with the Lord?
          Second, are you sharing the gospel with your family, relatives, friends, neighbors and coworkers?   We have the most important message to share.  Let us do it faithfully.
          
The chorus asks us that haunting question designed to exhort us to use the time and opportunities that we have to try and reach others. "'Must I go and empty handed?' Must I meet my Savior so?  Not one soul with which to greet Him: Must I empty handed go?"
            The song is an admonition to me as a Christian to look at my own life, with the talents and blessings that God has given me, and determine to be a faithful servant of the Lord by asking myself, "Must I Go, And Empty Handed?
 
1     Must I go, and empty-handed,"
Thus my dear Redeemer meet?
Not one day of service give Him,
Lay no trophy at His feet? 
Refrain:
"Must I go, and empty-handed?"
Must I meet my Savior so?
Not one soul with which to greet Him,
Must I empty-handed go? 
 
2     Not at death I shrink or falter,
For my Savior saves me now;
But to meet Him empty-handed,
Thought of that now clouds my brow. [Refrain]
3     Oh, the years in sinning wasted,
Could I but recall them now,
I would give them to my Savior,
To His will I'd gladly bow. [Refrain]
 
4     Oh, ye saints, arouse, be earnest,
Up and work while yet 'tis day;
Ere the night of death o'ertake thee,
Strive for souls while still you may. [Refrain]
Listen to it here.   EMPTY
 
 

No comments: