Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, March 12, 2023

ONCE IT WAS THE BLESSING. (HIMSELF)

          Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919) was a well-known nineteenth century Christian preacher, author and founder of the Christian Missionary Alliance denomination. Simpson composed the lyrics of over 120 hymns.
          This hymn is known as both "Himself" and "Once It Was The Blessing".  Unfortunately, it is seldom sung today.
          Ministry kept Simpson very busy and he eventually he found himself worn out in body and mind.   In this state, he discovered what Paul wrote of in Colossians 1:27, "Christ in you." Simpson realized Christ lived in him and was everything he needed. 
          Writing about his discovery, he said: "If this precious little secret of  'Christ in you' will help you, you may have it. May you make better use of it than I! I feel I have only begun to learn how well it works. Take it and go on working it out, through time and eternity - Christ for all, grace for grace, from strength to strength, from glory to glory, from this time forth and even forevermore."
           In 1899 Simpson wrote this hymn which he titled "Himself," to testify of his joyful experience of Christ being his all. The first stanza gives us a taste of his experience of Christ:
Once it was the blessing,
Now it is the Lord;
Once it was the feeling,
Now it is His Word.
Once the gift I wanted,
Now the Giver own;
Once I sought for healing,
Now Himself alone.
          
With a series of twenty statements, arranged in five stanzas, the song contrasts how Simpson used to see things "once," and how his focus had changed, "now," through the maturing process. In immaturity, there is a tendency for us to focus most on what God can give us, His blessings and answers to prayer, and not on "Himself." That is the author's main point.
          As we read, sing, and even pray with precious hymns like this one by A. B. Simpson, our fellowship with the Lord is enriched. We can learn from the pattern of ones who have gone before us as we seek to know and experience the Lord. Thank the Lord for such a heritage of hymns such as this one!
            Simpson's words, "Now it is the Lord," because Christ is our everything!" is a message that we all need today.  As a young Christian I remember my grandparents singing and living this hymn.  It is my prayer that I may do the same.
1.    Once it was the blessing,
   Now it is the Lord;
Once it was the feeling,
  Now it is His Word;
Once His gift I wanted,
  Now, the Giver own;
Once I sought for healing,
  Now Himself alone.
All in all forever,
  Only Christ I'll sing,
Everything is in Christ,
  And Christ is everything.

2.  Once 'twas painful trying,
  Now 'tis perfect trust;
Once a half salvation,
  Now the uttermost;
Once 'twas ceaseless holding,
  Now He holds me fast;
Once 'twas constant drifting,
  Now my anchor's cast.

3.   Once 'twas busy planning,
  Now 'tis trustful prayer;
Once 'twas anxious caring,
  Now He has the care;
Once 'twas what I wanted,
  Now what Jesus says;
Once 'twas constant asking,
  Now 'tis ceaseless praise.

4.   Once it was my working,
  His it hence shall be;
Once I tried to use Him,
  Now He uses me;
Once the pow'r I wanted,
  Now the Mighty One;
Once for self I labored,
  Now for Him alone.

5.  Once I hoped in Jesus,
  Now I know He's mine;
Once my lamps were dying,
  Now they brightly shine;
Once for death I waited,
  Now His coming hail;
And my hopes are anchored
Safe within the veil.
Listen to it here.  HIMSELF


No comments: