Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 20, 2019

IS YOUR ALL ON THE ALTAR OF SACRIFICE LAID?



        "I appeal to you therefore, brothers,[ by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."  (Romans 12:1 ESV). Now the Bible makes it plain that no one will ever get to heaven by his or her own efforts. Salvation is by the grace of God - His unmerited favor - "not of works lest anyone should boast" (Eph. 2:8-9).  But what about our lives after salvation?  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit" (Gal. 3:3; 5:25).  The Word of God describes Christian  living as a walk of faith and a life of surrender to the will of God.  But sacrifice and surrender are terms that we seldom here about anymore in messages or church music.  But, as someone has said, He is either Lord of all, or not Lord at all. Full surrender affects all areas of one's life, including the checkbook, the calendar, entertainment choices, jobs and relationships. All of these need to be placed on the altar of sacrifice.  It is in full surrender to the will of God that we find true peace and joy, and fulfillment in life. That is the theme of this week's gospel song choice, written by American pastor Elisha Hoffman (1839-1929). Mr. Hoffman's first impressions of music came from hearing the voice of sacred song in his home. It was the custom of his parents in the hour of family worship, both morning and evening, to sing one or two hymns. At an early age, the children became familiar with these hymns and learned to love them and to feel their hallowing and refining power. Their lives were marvelously influenced by this little service of song in the home.  Hoffman wrote over two thousand songs, often writing both. the words and the music.   Among his most popular and useful songs are: "What a Wonderful Saviour!," "Enough for Me," "Are You Washed in the Blood?," "No Other Friend Like Jesus,"and  "I Must Tell Jesus".  In this particular song he reminds us that  "You can only be blest, and have peace and sweet rest as you yield Him your body and soul."  And so the question we need to ask daily is, have we placed our all on the altar of sacrifice.  Does He control both our body and soul?  Are we experiencing the real joy and peace that comes when we yield all to Him?

1.   You have longed for sweet peace,
And for faith to increase,
And have earnestly, fervently prayed;
But you cannot have rest,
Or be perfectly blest,
Until all on the altar is laid.
Refrain:
Is your all on the altar of sacrifice laid?
Your heart does the Spirit control?
You can only be blest,
And have peace and sweet rest,
As you yield Him your body and soul.

2.   Would you walk with the Lord,
In the light of His word,
And have peace and contentment alway?
You must do His sweet will,
To be free from all ill,
On the altar your all you must lay.
Refrain

3.    Oh, we never can know
What the Lord will bestow
Of the blessings for which we have prayed,
Till our body and soul
He doth fully control,
And our all on the altar is laid.
Refrain

4.   Who can tell all the love
He will send from above,
And how happy our hearts will be made;
Of the fellowship sweet
We shall share at His feet,
When our all on the altar is laid
Refrain.

Here are two choices for you to listen to:

5 comments:

Loreerose said...

This song came to my mind this morning. I've been longing for peace and for my faith to increase. So much guidance in the words. Thank you for this.

Jyka said...

Great hymn. So assuring. Popping in my heart lately.

Unknown said...

The first verse of this song came to me a I woke up this morning. I also think part of another song came in mixed in with this one "He will keep to the end, He's your dearest friend". Still, precious words all as I've prayed to be more present and obedient to His voice.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I woke up with the melody of this hymn in my head. Victory is only in surrendering, thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I was up praying now and Holy Spirit just brought this song fresh into my heart, I have to seach for it on line and behold I found it here, is still asking me again and again that HAVE I LAID IT ALL ON THE ALTER?