Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, July 21, 2019

AM I A SOLDIER OF THE CROSS?


         The Apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV), "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.   And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."  Isaac Watts, the father of hymn writing in the English language, understood the reality of spiritual warfare. His father was not a member of the state church in England and twice was thrown into jail for opposing it, so that when he was a baby his mother often carried him in her arms to visit his father in prison.   He became a minister in London. He was a little man, only about five feet tall. His health was very poor all his life, but his church took loving care of him, for he was greatly liked. Early in life he became wearied with the versified Psalms which the churches used and set out to compose hymns of his own. This was a new departure and met with persistent opposition, but his hymns soon became widely popular in nearly all the churches.  This particular hymn was written by Dr. Watts in 1709, to follow a sermon on 1 Corinthians 16:13, "Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong."  The hymn remains a poignant reminder that while the Christian life has many blessings, the journey is not without its own battles along the way.  Watts asks some pointed questions in the short verses of this hymn. "Shall I fear to own His cause or blush to speak His name?"  "Must I be carried to the skies on flowery beds of ease,  while others fought to win the prize and sailed thru bloody seas?"  He asks the Lord to increase his courage.  And then he ends with the promise, "I'll bear the toil, endure the pain, supported by Thy word."  Yes, we face many battles during our journey here on earth and we must take a stand against the devil's many schemes.  But we have the full armor needed for these battles and we can live secure in the knowledge and assurance that with our Leader we are on the victory side.  So stand firm!  Are you a soldier of the cross?

(1)      Am I a soldier of the cross,
A follower of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause
or blush to speak His name?

(2)      Must I be carried to the skies
On flowery beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize
And sailed thru bloody seas?

(3)      Are there no foes for me to face?
Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace,
To help me on to God?

(4)      Sure I must fight if I would reign:
Increase my courage, Lord;
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy word.

Listen to it here.         SOLDIER

No comments: