Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, September 2, 2018

ALL YOUR ANXIETY (TH #22)


TIMELESS HYMN #22- Another revised and repeated blog of one of the great hymns of the faith - ALL YOUR ANXIETY - originally shared on February 8, 2008.

          When I was in college I was stunned to hear that my pastor had died of a sudden heart attack while preparing for a VBS closing program  Although that was over 50 years ago, I still vividly remember his funeral service.  One of the things that has remained in my mind is the hymn sung by the Pastor's Quartet  - "All Your Anxiety".  I had never heard this hymn before and I have never since forgotten it.  Years later it was in our new hymnbook, but I don't recall that we sang it very often.  However, over the years the words have often come back to me and have been a comfort to me in times of stress and anxiety.  Recently we were listening to some of our old 33 rpm records - do you remember these?.  One of the albums was by my favorite trombone player, Bill Pierce, and one of the numbers that he played and sang was this hymn.  I immediately thought that I had to include it in my blog.  Hopefully the words will be a help and comfort to many of you.  The hymn was written in 1920 by Edward H. Joy (1871 - 1949) who had a long career serving in the Salvation Army.  He was inspired to pen the words of this hymn by the words from Philippians, "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."  And also by the words from 1 Peter 5:7 (NIV) "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  Joy described the challenges that we all face at different times - sorrows, cares, burdens and anxieties.  We all encounter these at various times in life.  They often cause us emotional stress, and too often even serious physical problems.  But there is a solution.  It is that we bring our anxieties to the Lord in prayer. For this, the hymn writer uses the imagery of coming to the cross, and of coming to the mercy seat.  How much better our lives would be if only we could claim and apply the words of this hymn and leave all of our anxiety with the Lord. I admit that this is a lesson that I must often still learn. But there is never a burden that He can't bear. And He asks us to leave ALL of this with Him. There is never a friend like Jesus. 
          P.S. - When I originally wrote this blog in 2008, little did I realize that in a few days my father would suddenly be taken home to be with the Lord.  Then three months later the Lord would take my brother home.  And two months earlier He had taken my father-in-law home.  There is no question that we faced anxiety during those times and we found these words so true and timely. The Lord's timing is always amazing and always right.  Hopefully this song will also be a comfort and encouragement to you.



(1)   Is there a heart o'erbound by sorrow?
Is there a life weighed down by care?
Come to the cross, each burden bearing—
All your anxiety, leave it there.
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!

(2)   No other friend so keen to help you,
No other friend so quick to hear;
No other place to leave your burden,
No other one to hear your prayer.
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!

(3)    Come then at once, delay no longer!
Heed His entreaty kind and sweet;
You need not fear a disappointment,
You shall find peace at the mercy seat.
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!

You can listen to the music here.      LISTEN

No comments: