Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

IF I GAINED THE WORLD


          So often throughout history men have dreamed of conquering new lands and becoming powerful and rich world leaders.  And while they may have thought that they had  successes along the way, in the end they lost all and eventually, sadly, they lost their soul and moved into a hopeless eternity.  It is human nature to dream of gaining great wealth and power. Some times attempts to gain riches are made through illegal means.  Sometimes people try through scams, or they gamble.  Often they play the lottery.  But even those who win huge jackpots often find nothing but problems handling their new riches.  And while they might enjoy it for a season, they can't take it with them when they eventually leave this earth.  And, sadly, they often miss the very most important thing in life.  Matthew 16:26 explains it all with the question, "What profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"  The question is one of the most serious questions we will ever face and surely most of us will answer it, more than once.  This life offers so many material things - riches, popularity, power, pride - all things that seem so important to we earthly beings.  Anna Olander (1861-1939), the daughter of a clergyman, was a Swedish hymn writer. Early in life she started writing poems and stories. She edited nearly 50 books, translated hymns into Swedish from English and German, and wrote some original songs of her own. But the only song of hers that is still in use in English today is "If I Gained the World", written by her in 1904. "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."  (Matt 6:19-21). Where is our treasure? What are the desires of our heart? Do we desire to gain the whole world, or even a small part of it - a world that will leave one empty?  As this  hymn asks, "Are all earthly pleasures worth comparing for a moment with a Christ-filled life?"  We need to live with eternity's values in view.  Are our values and priorities right?  What is more important to us - our work and vacations or our worship, our investments or our tithing, our hobbies or our ministry, our sports and television or our times with the Lord?  Sometimes a look at our datebooks and our checkbooks can give us those answers. As Olander wrote, "If I have but Jesus, only Jesus, nothing else in all the world beside - O then everything is mine in Jesus; for my needs and more He will provide."  The scriptures challenge us to "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."  Matthew 6:33.    Think about it!



1.   f I gained the world, but lost the Savior,
Were my life worth living for a day?
Could my yearning heart find rest and comfort
In the things that soon must pass away?
If I gained the world, but lost the Savior,
Would my gain be worth the lifelong strife?
Are all earthly pleasures worth comparing
For a moment with a Christ-filled life?

2.   Had I wealth and love in fullest measure,
And a name revered both far and near,
Yet no hope beyond, no harbor waiting,
Where my storm-tossed vessel I could steer;
If I gained the world, but lost the Savior,
Who endured the cross and died for me,
Could then all the world afford a refuge,
Whither, in my anguish, I might flee?

3     O what emptiness! - without the Savior
'Mid the sins and sorrows here below!
And eternity, how dark without Him!
Only night and tears and endless woe!
What, though I might live without the Savior,
When I come to die, how would it be?
O to face the valley's gloom without Him!
And without Him all eternity!

4    O the joy of having all in Jesus!
What a balm the broken heart to heal!
Ne'er a sin so great, but He'll forgive it,
Nor a sorrow that He does not feel!
If I have but Jesus, only Jesus,
Nothing else in all the world beside - 
O then everything is mine in Jesus;
For my needs and more He will provide

You can listen to it here.    
               choice 1   LISTEN1
               choice 2   LISTEN2

No comments: