Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, November 6, 2016

WHERE HE LEADS I'LL FOLLOW


          We live in a sad age when increasingly more and more members of our society, including believers, are becoming followers of all sorts of folks and philosophies.  The internet in particular has allowed people through blogs and social media to regularly follow politicians, entertainment stars, athletes, religious speakers and all sorts of organizations.  And, in so many cases, people just accept what they read without even questioning it. We need discernment like never before.  As Abraham Lincoln said, "If you read it on the internet it must be true."  But there is only one person who has the truth.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life."  And the Apostle Peter states that Christ has left us an example, "that you should follow in His steps" (I Peter 2:21). There is no need to be in the dark if we will accompany the One who declared, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12). Nineteen times the Gospel writers record the words of the Lord Jesus, "Follow Me" (for example Matthew 4:19).  And that is the theme of this week's hymn that should remind each believer of the need to follow Christ daily in all that we do.  William A. Ogden (1841-1897) is said to have been a musical prodigy.  He began studying music at the age of eight and could read church music by ten.  He could write a melody by hearing it sung or played and when he was 18 he became a choir director in his church.  Through his adult life he enjoyed working with children and teaching them music.  With the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.  During the war years he organized a male choir which became known throughout the Army of the Cumberland.  After the war he resumed his study of music under some of the most prominent musicians of the day.  In 1870, Mr. Ogden published his first song book, called Silver Songs.  The book became very popular, and sold five hundred thousand copies in England alone.   Over the years, William Ogden taught music, not only in the United States, but in Canada as well, and he wrote and published many gospel songs.  Now I don't know what led him to write this hymn, but he penned the words and added the tune in 1885.  The hymn reminds us of why we should follow Christ.  Stanza one says that we should because of His message which is sweet, kind, dear and pure - the great example and pattern for us.  Stanza two says we should follow Him because of His love.  In stanza three we are reminded that we should follow Him because of the rest that He gives. "Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee." "Lean upon the Savior and thy soul is secure."  The chorus reminds us of the need to follow Jesus everywhere and at every time. "Where He leads I'll follow, Follow all the way; Where He leads I'll follow, Follow Jesus every day."  Jesus not only died for our sins and rose again to declare His divine Sonship, but He lived a perfect life as an example of how God wants His children to live.  Therefore, it should be our determination, throughout our entire life on earth that, "Where He Leads, I'll Follow."  Is that your desire and prayer?


1     Sweet are the promises, Kind is the word,
Dearer far than any message man ever heard;
Pure was the mind of Christ, Sinless I see;
He the great example is, and pattern for me.
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

2     Sweet is the tender love Jesus hath shown,
Sweeter far than any love that mortals have known;
Kind to the erring one, Faithful is He;
He the great example is, and pattern for me. 
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

3     List' to His loving words, "Come unto Me;"
Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee;
Trust in His promises, Faithful and sure;
Lean upon the Savior, and thy soul is secure. 
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

You can listen to it here.   LISTEN

7 comments:

Messages from the Message said...

Thank you for sharing one more!
I check your blog every Sunday, and since you never missed the weekly hymn, I became a little worried about last Sunday missing and prayed for you during the week!:D
Wishing you the best,
A reader from Brazil.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much. You are right, I was in the hospital with stroke symptoms. Your prayers were needed and still are. I didn't realize until this morning that I had not posted last week's hymn and thought I should go ahead and do it anyway, even if it was a week late. May the Lord bless you for your concern and prayers. It is wonderful that we can support and encourage each other even when we are continents apart. May the Lord bless you!

Messages from the Message said...

I'm glad you answered my comment, Mr. Kauffman! It was good to hear from you,and for sure I will remember you in prayer.
You do a wonderful job sharing these old genuine inspired hymns of praise to our God and I really appreciate that.
( By the way, I was thinking you could enjoy watching some wondrous videos from brothers and sisters in Christ here in Brazil praising God by singing hymns like those. Would you like to see that? I could send some links to you, if you want.:)

May God bless you richly too!

Anonymous said...

That would be very interesting. thanks for the offer.

Messages from the Message said...

Does your blog have any email address to which I can send them?

Anonymous said...

You could try fbfawana@aol.com

Messages from the Message said...

Thank you! I have just sent it to you. Hope you enjoy!