Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

HAVE THINE OWN WAY LORD


          As I was growing up, public invitations to accept Christ as Savior were a regular part of most services. And part of those invitations was the singing of hymns that would call people to come to Christ or to yield themselves completely to Him.  One of those songs that I remember singing regularly is this week's choice, "Have Thine Own Way, Lord". We sang that frequently.  However, the older I become, the more I have come to realize that this hymn of consecration represents a continuing need in the life of each believer.  Daily we need to yield to the hands and will of the Potter.  "We are the clay, You are the Potter; we are all the work of Your hand."  Isaiah 64:6.  We are His workmanship.  The step of salvation is just the beginning.  We need to be yielded and molded daily in all that we do.  Are we really willing to yield to Him with our attitudes, our conversations, our thoughts, our relationships, our jobs, our activities, our finances, and even our health?  Can we say "have thine own way" in all areas of our life?  Are we really waiting before Him, "yielded and still"?  Do we really want Him to "search us and try us"?  Is it really our desire to be filled with His Spirit until all shall see Christ only always living in us?  We should.  Lord, may that be my desire.  The words to this hymn were penned by Adelaide A. Pollard (1862-1934) in 1907.  She believed that God wanted her in Africa as a missionary but she was unable to raise the funds to go.  In a confused state of mind she attended a prayer meeting.  There she heard an elderly woman pray, "It's all right, Lord.  It doesn't matter what You bring into our lives, just have Your own way with us."  That night at home, after being encouraged by this prayer, she wrote the words of this hymn.  Five years later, George Stebbins (1846-1945) wrote a tune titled "Adelaide" to accompany the text.  I hope that the words penned by Pollard will challenge you this week. Let this be our daily prayer. May we each be willing to daily ask the Lord to have His own way in every area of our lives and then willingly yield our all to the hands of our Potter.

1     Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Thou art the potter, I am the clay. 
Mold me and make me after thy will, 
while I am waiting, yielded and still. 

2     Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Search me and try me, Savior today! 
Wash me just now, Lord, wash me just now, 
as in thy presence humbly I bow. 

3     Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Wounded and weary, help me I pray! 
Power, all power, surely is thine! 
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine! 

4     Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! 
Hold o'er my being absolute sway. 
Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see 
Christ only, always, living in me! 

Listen to it here.    LISTEN

No comments: