Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

IN THE PRESENCE OF JEHOVAH


          In 1984 I had the unusual opportunity to receive an award from President Ronald Reagan on the White House Lawn.  It was a thrill to shake his hand. briefly talk to him and take his picture.  I realized that I was meeting with the most powerful man in the world at that time and it was a moment that I will never forget.  But it has always been much more amazing to me that I have the opportunity daily to talk to the God of the universe and to live in His presence. He is the One who created all things, and controls all things.  And yet because His Spirit dwells within me, I can live in His presence daily. My body is His temple (1 Corinthians 3:16).  What an astounding thing that God Himself has chosen to dwell in us, His adopted children.  He no longer dwells in the Holy of Holies where the High Priest could enter just once a year after performing seven days of cleansing activities. We don't need to go to another person or a particular location to share with Him.  And because of His presence, when I share with Him my love and worship and my needs, "troubles vanish" and my "heart is mended".  Jehovah is "The Existing One" or "Lord." Jehovah denotes a God who reveals Himself unceasingly.  And He lovingly does that to us as we spend time in His presence. The words of this week's song choice have often been a reminder and blessing to me as I've wrestled with various problems and needs.  And, He has always been there to listen and to provide just what I need.  Unfortunately, I have been able to find very little about the background and writing of this song.  The authors are listed as Geron and Becky Davis, a husband and wife team who are musicians and composers.  Geron has written numerous contemporary songs in recent years. Several years ago he invited his sister, Alyson Lovern, and her husband Shelton to join he and Becky in forming the group Kindred Souls and they have been performing together for many years.  But that is about all that I can find about them or this week's song.  Hopefully the words are your experience and testimony.  Spend time in His presence.  Worship Him.  Thank Him.  And share, with confidence, your deepest needs.  He will surely meet you there.

(1)     In and out of situations
That tug o' war at me;
All day long I struggle
For answers that I need.
But then I come into His presence
And all my questions become clear
And for a sacred moment
No doubt can interfere.
In the presence of Jehovah
God Almighty, Prince of Peace,
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended
In the presence of the King.

(2)     Through His love the Lord provided
A place for us to rest;
A place to find the answers
In the hours of distress.
Now there is never any reason
For you to give up in despair;
Just slip away and breathe His name
He will surely meet you there.
In the presence of Jehovah
God Almighty, Prince of Peace,
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended
In the presence of the King.

I especially appreciate a version sung by Damarus Carbaugh but I wasn't able to finf a video of her to post here.  But you can listen to this version this week.   LISTEN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About 5 years ago, when I was in the darkest period of my life, I awoke one morning and realized someone was singing to me. I was still hearing it even as I showered and got ready for the day. I’d never heard the song before, but it was so beautiful and it was inviting me - calling me - pulling me - into His presence. I grabbed my phone and searched for it and found it. In The Presence of Jehovah.