Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

O THAT WILL BE, GLORY FOR ME


Dad on his
90th birthday
          Today, on Father's Day I have decided to honor my father by repeating, in his memory, a blog that I wrote just after his death in 2009.  My father was a godly man who had a profound influence on my life and I still miss him greatly.  He had great wisdom and a deep faith in the Lord that I observed throughout his life.  In addition to Father's Day, today would have been his 98th birthday.  But instead of celebrating it with us, he is celebrating with mother and his Lord Jesus Christ in a much better place.  This hymn was one of his very favorites and it speaks of an experience which my father has now had.  His labors and trials are over and he is safe on that beautiful shore, near the Lord that he adored and served throughout his life.  What a thrill it is to know that this is his experience and someday it will also be mine.

March 3, 2009 blog:

When my father recently passed away some of the grandchildren told us that Grandpa wanted to have this song sung at his funeral.  So we honored his request by having the family sing it at his Memorial Service.  We had never sung together before in public as a family and it went well considering that we didn't have time to practice as a group and many of the grandchildren and great grandchildren had never heard the song before.  The words certainly reflect dad's desire and hope and most likely his present experience.   The song itself has an interesting history.   When it first appeared in 1900, a musical expert predicted, "It will never go; it has too many quarter notes."  In other words, 'the rhythm is too monotonous." But in a few years, it was the most popular hymn Homer Rodeheaver led in the Billy Sunday campaigns.  It was affectionately called the "Glory Song." It was inspired, not by an experience, but by a personality!  The author, C. H. Gabriel, was perhaps the best known and most prolific gospel song writer of the early twentieth century.  One of his good friends was Ed Card, superintendent of the Sunshine Rescue Mission of St. Louis, Missouri.  Ed was a radiant believer who always seemed to be "bubbling over" with Christian joy. During a sermon or a prayer he would often explode with "Glory" just like some people say "Amen!" or "Hallelujah!"  His beaming smile earned him the nickname "old glory face."  It was his custom to close his fervent prayers with a reference to heaven, usually ending with the phrase "and that will be glory for me"   What a fitting song for the believer who has the assurance that he will someday be reunited with loved ones, and with the Lord, in heaven.


When all my labors and trials are over,
And I am safe on that beautiful shore,
Just to be near the dear Lord I adore,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

When, by the gift of His infinite grace,
I am accorded in heaven a place,
Just to be there and to look on His face,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

Friends will be there I have loved long ago;
Joy like a river around me will flow;
Yet just a smile from my Savior, I know,
Will through the ages be glory for me.
O that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

You can listen to it here.   LISTEN 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just discovered your blog and really appreciate .I like to sing hymns and tell the stories behind them with different groups at adult daycare. Everyone is always receptive.