Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

I'M GOING HIGHER


You've probably had the same experience.  You are doing something and suddenly a melody invades your mind and its a song which you haven't heard in years.  And as you sing it over and over in your mind it just doesn't go away.  And this can happen in the strangest situations.  A few weeks ago I entered the elevator at our church and as I pushed the button to go up I suddenly began to sing "I'm going higher, yes higher someday ... I'm going higher to stay."  And for the rest of the evening those words came ringing through my mind.  Now obviously the words had nothing to do with the elevator.  They talk about that time that we anticipate when we will be taken "higher" to be with the Lord.  A time when we will be where no one gets sick or dies.  A place where we will meet our loved ones who have gone on before.  Revelation 21:4 tells of that time and place. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."  The original words and music were written by Herbert Buffum (1879-1939) who was converted at the age of 18.  He earned credentials from the Church of the Nazarene and he was a Holiness/Pentecostal evangelist.  He was also a prolific song writer with 10,000 songs to his credit, 1000 of which were actually published. Ripley's "Believe It Or Not" claimed He once wrote 12 songs in an hour.  When he died, the Los Angeles Times called him "the king of Gospel song writers." Apparently in 2001, the words were updated and performed by Bill and Gloria Gather and their Homecoming Friends.  This spirited, upbeat song shares the hope of all believers.  We don't know when it will happen, but the Lord Himself promised to make a place for us and then someday take us home to be with Him eternally.  Rejoice in this truth as you meditate upon these simple but profound words this week.  I'm going higher someday!


(1)    Often my soul has been lifted above
Lost in the ocean of God's mighty love
Higher and higher, but once still I say
I'm going higher someday

I'm going higher, yes higher someday
I'm going higher, yes higher to stay
Over the mountain, beyond the blue sky
Going where none ever sicken or die
Loved ones will meet in that sweet by and by
I'm going higher someday

(2)    Soon will the Savior appear, bless His name
And in a moment, we all will be changed
Then when he calls for his bright come away
We're going higher someday

I'm going higher, yes higher someday
I'm going higher, yes higher to stay
Over the mountain, beyond the blue sky
Going where none ever sicken or die
Loved ones will meet in that sweet by and by
I'm going higher and higher and higher

You can listen to it here.  Note that you can skip the ad after a few seconds.  LISTEN

No comments: