Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

THE UNCLOUDED DAY


If you are like me, the older we become the more we think about heaven. And as more of our friends and loved ones "move" there, the more real heaven seems to become.  As we look around at our world and all of its problems, we realize that this is not our home, we are just tenting here, and heaven is our destination.  Titus 2:13 should express our daily heartfelt desire, " Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ."  This must have also been the desire and hope of Josiah Altwood (1885 - 1909) when he penned the words of this week's hymn choice.  All that I can find about him is that he apparently was a circuit riding preacher in the Midwest, and an elder of the North Ohio Conference of the United Brethren Church.  Circuit riders, officially known as Traveling Clergy, brought their faith to the wild frontiers.  Often ministering to large territories, taking as much as a month or more to complete a circuit, a circuit preacher was probably a job that encountered many dangers, trials and loneliness. Maybe he sang this song as he walked or rode from location to location. When you think of Reverend Altwood's hymn in context of what he likely endured, it gives the words a special meaning.  He's talking about a land of peace, a gathering of family and friends, a place where nobody needs to cry ever again.  It is a place where God rules over an eternal city in joy and happiness, a land where thee are no storm clouds.  If you, too, are looking for that glorious day and that indescribable home, sing along this week with joy and hope.  Our real home is being prepared for us - right now.   So keep looking up! 


(1)   O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies,
O they tell me of a home far away;
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.
O the land of cloudless day,
O the land of an unclouded day,
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

(2)   O they tell me of a home where my friends have gone,
O they tell me of that land far away,
Where the tree of life in eternal bloom
Sheds its fragrance through the unclouded day.
O the land of cloudless day,
O the land of an unclouded day,
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

(3)   O they tell me of a King in His beauty there,
And they tell me that mine eyes shall behold
Where He sits on the throne that is whiter than snow,
In the city that is made of gold.
O the land of cloudless day,
O the land of an unclouded day,
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

(4)   O they tell me that He smiles on His children there,
And His smile drives their sorrows all away;
And they tell me that no tears ever come again
In that lovely land of unclouded day.
O the land of cloudless day,
O the land of an unclouded day,
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

If you like his style, here is a version done by Johnny Cash.  CASH
If you prefer the music of Gather Homecoming, you can listen to that right here.   GATHER

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite songs and I was looking for a way to make a connection to the congregation to help drive the purpose of the song. I appreciate this information you have shared and that you learned and shared the reverends history. This is very helpful and meaningful to me. I love old hymns. That is what I was raised on!

Anonymous said...

My absolute favorite gospel hymn. I first heard it on an old Bluegrass Gospel CD an older friend had and it definitely drew my 15yr old young soul in.