Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

ROCK OF AGES


The scriptures are full of references to the LORD being a rock upon whom we can depend no matter what storms may come our way.  Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." Psalm 62:6 "He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved."  Psalm 62:7 "In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God."  And there are numerous verses which encourage us to worship and exalt the LORD who is our rock.  Psalm 18:46  "The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted."   Psalm 95:1  "O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation."  And it was probably the knowledge of verses like these  that played a part in the writing of this classic hymn by Augustus Montague Toplady (1740-1778) in 1763.   Traditionally, it is held that Rev. Toplady was inspired to write the hymn by an incident in the gorge of Burrington Combe in the Mendip Hills in England. Toplady, a preacher in the nearby village of Blagdon, was traveling along the gorge when he was caught in a storm. Finding shelter in a gap in the gorge, he was struck by the title and scribbled down the initial lyrics on a playing card that he found there on the ground. The fissure that is believed to have sheltered Toplady is now marked as the "Rock of Ages", both on the rock itself and on some maps. The hymn was first published in the Gospel Magazine in 1775, some 12 years after Toplady wrote it.  And for over two centuries its words have been a comfort and encouragement to many, especially in times of difficulty.  Meditate on these words this week realizing that the work of Christ is for you.


Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and power.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When my eyes shall close in death,
When I rise to worlds unknown,
And behold Thee on Thy throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee

Listen to the words here.  LISTEN

No comments: