Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

SITTING AT THE FEET OF JESUS

This past week my wife and I had the special privilege to be part of the annual Senior Saints Retreat at the Pinebrook Bible Conference. It was refreshing to step aside from the rush and pressures of everyday life to spend time with fellow believers and to be challenged from the Word of God. One of the highlights of the week were the sessions led by two experienced pastors, Brooke Solberg, of Allentown, and Lynn Warner from Ohio. For four days we "sat at the feet" of these men who shared and challenged us with practical lessons from the Bible. And as I reflect upon this uplifting experience, I think about how tremendous it must have been to actually sit at the feet of Jesus and hear Him share the Word. Someday we will have that experience when we live with Him in the place He is preparing for us. In the meantime, we can listen to godly speakers here on earth. But, even better than that, we can "sit at His feet" here in our private devotional time when we can talk to Him and commune with Him and listen to Him. Unfortunately, we, especially those of us in ministry, often fail to do this. We often are like Martha (Luke 10:40) and are just too busy serving to take time to sit at His feet. We need to be more like Mary, who, according to Jesus "has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." Examine your schedule and think about this as you review this week's hymn. It was written by J.H., whoever that was, and the music was by Asa Hull. And that is all that I could find about the background of this week's choice. But the message of the hymn is much more important than it's history.
1. Sitting at the feet of Jesus,
Oh, what words I hear Him say!
Happy place! so near, so precious!
May it find me there each day;
Sitting at the feet of Jesus,
I would look upon the past;
For His love has been so gracious,
It has won my heart at last.

2. Sitting at the feet of Jesus,
Where can mortal be more blest?
There I lay my sins and sorrows,
And, when weary, find sweet rest;
Sitting at the feet of Jesus,
There I love to weep and pray;
While I from His fullness gather
Grace and comfort every day.

3. Bless me, O my Savior, bless me,
As I'm waiting at Thy feet;
Oh, look down in love upon me,
Let me see Thy face so sweet;
Give me, Lord, the mind of Jesus,
Keep me holy as He is;
May I prove I've been with Jesus,
Who is all my righteousness.

You can listen to it here. LISTEN

No comments: