Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

THE HEART OF WORSHIP

If you have been a regular reader of this blog, you know that I love many of the old hymns. While I appreciate many of today's praise choruses, they have not been a major part of my Christian life. Unfortunately the introduction of praise choruses has caused many problems within many congregations. Some have even called this controversy the modern Holy Wars. People have left churches over these differences. Some churches have attempted to provide two different services – traditional and contemporary – to satisfy attenders. It is very sad, however, that a source of worship has created such division. And while I prefer the hymns, worship is a personal thing and I certainly can accept a style that appears to be very meaningful to a large portion of my brothers and sisters. After all, it is not about me. Michael Smith penned the words to one of the best known praise choruses and I have chosen that as this week's selection. The opening lines are so meaningful in the midst of this hymn/chorus controversy. When the music fades, all is stripped away … (doesn't matter what style) … I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself is not what You have required … And it's all about You! Powerful words that should humble us when we take sides, especially the words "Jesus I'm sorry for the thing I've made it". So if church music upsets you, let me suggest that you memorize this song and sing it in your heart every time the music upsets you. And if you aren't getting enough of the hymns and they help you worship, get an ipod or a tape player and play and read the hymns throughout the day or when you have your devotions. After all, worship isn't about you.

(1) When the music fades, All is stripped away, And I simply come
Longing just to bring, Something that's of worth, That will bless Your heart
I'll bring You more than a song, For a song in itself, Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear, You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You, It's all about You,
Jesus I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You, It's all about You, Jesus

(2) King of endless worth, No one could express, How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor, All I have is Yours, Every single breath
I'll bring You more than a song, For a song in itself, Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within,
Through the way things appear, You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You, It's all about You,
Jesus I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You, It's all about You, Jesus

Listen to the words here. LISTEN

No comments: