Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

PRECIOUS PROMISE

In three weeks I will be the worship leader for a week at the Pinebrook Bible Conference. This summer their theme is "Rekindle the Fire" and they are reflecting back upon the great revivals and spiritual experiences at our denomination's former camp meeting at Mizpah Grove, in Allentown. This tent city came to an end 42 years ago, but for many of us "old-timers" there is a special place in our hearts for the memories of times of warm fellowship and spiritual challenge that we had there. While cleaning out my parent's house, I found three of the hymn books that were used at Mizpah during the years I attended. I had planned to pick out hymns to lead from these books until I realized that most of the campers at Pinebrook would be too young to even know them. So instead, I have been reading and singing through these hymns which I remember as a kid but are now gone for this generation. One of those that I remember is one written by Nathaniel Niles in 1873. The music was later written by Philip Bliss. It is a great reminder of the promise of Jesus to be with His children wherever they go, in the good times and in the bad times. Meditate on these words today and be encouraged that Jesus has promised never to leave us or forsake us.

(1) Precious promise God has given
To the weary passerby,
On the way from earth to Heaven,
"I will guide thee with Mine eye."
Refrain
I will guide thee, I will guide thee,
I will guide thee with Mine eye
On the way from earth to Heaven,
I will guide thee with Mine eye.

(2) When temptations almost win thee
And thy trusted watchers fly,
Let this promise ring within thee,
"I will guide thee with Mine eye."
Refrain
I will guide thee, I will guide thee,
I will guide thee with Mine eye
On the way from earth to Heaven,
I will guide thee with Mine eye.

(3) When thy secret hopes have perished
In the grave of years gone by,
Let this promise still be cherished,
"I will guide thee with Mine eye."
Refrain
I will guide thee, I will guide thee,
I will guide thee with Mine eye
On the way from earth to Heaven,
I will guide thee with Mine eye.

(4) When the shades of life are falling
And the hour has come to die,
Hear thy trusty Pilot calling,
"I will guide thee with Mine eye."
Refrain
I will guide thee, I will guide thee,
I will guide thee with Mine eye
On the way from earth to Heaven,
I will guide thee with Mine eye.

Listen to the music here. LISTEN

1 comment:

Robert said...

Thanks for the words of "Precious Promise." Niles was a lawyer who lived in New Jersey and commuted to work in New York City by train. He got the idea for this hymn one day and jotted the lines down on the margin of his newspaper.

Psalm 32:8 provides a great assurance, doesn't it: "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye [upon you]."

You bemoan the fact that the old hymns are not known or sung any more. I feel the same way, and am doing my best, through my newspaper column, my blog, and in other ways to reawaken interest in this great heritage. I encourage you: Let's not capitulate, let's educate!

God bless