Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

LOVE FOUND A WAY

On Friday we led one of the monthly hymn sings at Pinebrook Bible Conference.  I think this was the 14th sing that we've led over the past few years.  The theme I chose for this month was "Love, Wonderful Love".  In June we often think of weddings and love - in fact on Tuesday we celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary. Congratulations to many of you who may also have June anniversaries.  But the love of a husband and wife, as special as it may be, pales in comparison to God's love.  It was not very hard at all to find a variety of great hymns on the subject of love.  Many express wonder, praise and thanks for God's great love to us.  Others talk about our response of love to Him.  It would be easy to spend a few months just choosing these hymns as the hymn of the week. This week I've chosen an older one, written in 1915 by Avis M. Christiansen, that is seldom sung anymore.  But it is a great reminder of what God's wonderful love means to me and what it cost Him.  So meditate upon these words and join in praising our great God for His great love shown to those of us who are unworthy of it.

Wonderful love that rescued me, sunk deep in sin,
Guilty and vile as I could be—no hope within;
When every ray of light had fled, O glorious day!
Raising my soul from out the dead, love found a way.
Refrain
Love found a way, to redeem my soul,
Love found a way, that could make me whole.
Love sent my Lord to the cross of shame,
Love found a way, O praise His holy Name!

Love brought my Savior here to die on Calvary,
For such a sinful wretch as I, how can it be?
Love bridged the gulf 'twixt me and Heav'n, taught me to pray,
I am redeemed, set free, forgiv'n, love found a way.
Refrain
Love found a way, to redeem my soul,
Love found a way, that could make me whole.
Love sent my Lord to the cross of shame,
Love found a way, O praise His holy Name!

Love opened wide the gates of light to Heav'n's domain,
Where in eternal power and might Jesus shall reign.
Love lifted me from depths of woe to endless day,
There was no help in earth below; love found a way.
Refrain
Love found a way, to redeem my soul,
Love found a way, that could make me whole.
Love sent my Lord to the cross of shame,
Love found a way, O praise His holy Name!

Listen here       LISTEN

2 comments:

robert said...

I haven't visited in awhile. Nice to see you are still encouraging folks to remember and sing some of our fine hymns and gospel songs. Avis Christiansen wrote many. "Blessed Calvary" is another of hers. And today is the 114th anniversary of her birth. God bless. Keep singing!

Unknown said...

Amazing song that conveys truth of gospel of jesus Christ sunk deep in sin jesus rescued me for love found away to redeem my soul, oh what a saviour majesty worship his majesty king of kings lord of lords