Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

BENEATH THE CROSS OF JESUS

Previously I mentioned that I had two favorite hymns concerning the Easter season.  This week's hymn is my other favorite.  One of the reasons that I love it is because it has great four part harmony with a beautiful tenor line.  Now today's choruses are written essentially for everyone to just sing the melody - harmonizing is often impossible or at best, very difficult.   But since I am officially "old", I still love good harmony and this hymn has it.   And I have enjoyed singing this hymn over the years in a number of trios and quartets as well as with the congregation.   But the main reason I like this hymn is not just the harmony, but the words.  They always challenge my Christian walk.   Do I really take my stand in life beneath His cross?  Do I constantly thank Him for his redeeming love, recognizing my unworthiness?  Do I really want nothing more than the sunshine of His face.   And am I really content to let the world go by, to know no gain or loss?   Is my glory really all the cross?  Wow, that's heavy stuff!   The words were written by Elizabeth C. Clephane in 1868 and published posthumously in 1872. The music was added by Frederick C. Maker in 1881.  So this great hymn has been sung for about 129 years and it continues to be a favorite of many - especially old-timers like me.   Meditate upon these words during this special season when we celebrate the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord.   And, rejoice today that He is Risen and because of His cross we can stand with Him now and eternally.

1.     Beneath the cross of Jesus
     I fain would take my stand,
     the shadow of a mighty rock
     within a weary land;
     a home within the wilderness,
     a rest upon the way,
     from the burning of the noontide heat,
     and the burden of the day.

2.     Upon that cross of Jesus
     mine eye at times can see
     the very dying form of One
     who suffered there for me;
     and from my stricken heart with tears
     two wonders I confess:
     the wonders of redeeming love
     and my unworthiness.

3.     I take, O cross, thy shadow
     for my abiding place;
     I ask no other sunshine than
     the sunshine of his face;
     content to let the world go by,
     to know no gain nor loss,
     my sinful self my only shame,
     my glory all the cross. 

Listen to this great hymn here.     LISTEN

No comments: