Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

DAY BY DAY

I vividly recall one early morning when I was taking my morning walk before going to school.  My heart was very heavy that day.  While I walked, I prayed and listened to the early morning music on one of our Christian music stations.  Suddenly I heard one of my favorite hymns, "Day By Day", being sung.  And, it ministered powerfully to my need at that exact moment - God's answer to my prayer.  Strength I find to meet my trials here ... I've no cause to worry or to fear ... a special mercy for each hour ... His protection ... His promises ... my Father's hand.  My wife and I have often sung this as a duet and it remains one of my very favorites because of its message.  It was written by Karolina Sandell-Berg who is often called the Sweedish Fanny Crosby.  Her many songs flowed from a broken heart after having seen her father fall overboard and drown when their boat gave a sudden lurch. This is another example of a great hymn born out of a time of tragedy.  So often God has met a special need and as a result that person has penned words that later help thousands in their times of need.  Meditate upon these powerful words today as you trust Christ to meet your need.

     1.     Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

     2.     Every day the Lord Himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow'r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.

     3.     Help me then, in every tribulation,
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation,
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till with Christ the Lord I stand.

Listen to it here.    LISTEN

No comments: