Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, May 1, 2022

I SEE A CRIMSON STREAM

         Over the years many hymns have been written about the blood of Jesus.  And the blood is mentioned 427 times in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.  
         Why is the blood of Christ important?  "For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness."  Hebrews 9:22.
          His blood redeems us. There was a price against us that we could not pay, but the blood of Jesus redeemed us. 1 Peter 1:18-19 says, "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things .... But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot."
          His blood brings us into fellowship with God. According to Ephesians 2:13, "But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ." Without the blood of Christ, man is a long way from God.
          His blood makes peace with God. Man, by nature, is at war with God and we can only come to God on His peace terms - the blood atonement. The Bible says in Colossians 1:20, "And, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself...."
          His blood cleanses. Not only does it remove the punishment of sin, it removes the pollution. It doesn't matter what sin you've committed; "the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin (1 John 1:7).
          His blood gives power over the devil. It's the blood that Satan fears. Revelation 12:11 says, "And they overcame him [Satan] by the blood of the Lamb...." The devil doesn't want you to learn about the blood. He hates it!
          The blood of Christ is the subject of this week's hymn which was written in 1920 by G. T. Haywood (1880-1931).  Haywood was an African-American pastor and song writer who served as Presiding Bishop of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World from 1925 to 1931.  In 1909, Haywood founded Christ Temple church in Indianapolis. Haywood's influence crossed ethnic boundaries, and by 1913, Christ Temple had a biracial congregation of 400 to 500 which later grew to 1500.  His songs are known for Oneness Pentecostal themes.
          Haywood pictures the blood flowing as a stream from Calvary, flowing over us, to the throne of God.   And because of it we have no condemnation and nothing can take away our salvation.  And he pictures the day when the ransomed will sing the great refrain in eternity.
          Today I believe many churches are failing to share the necessity and power of the blood of Christ. For many it is not a popular topic. May we never take it for granted because everything about our relationship with God is wrapped up in the precious blood of Jesus.

1.     On Cal'vry's hill of sorrow
Where sin's demands were paid,
And rays of hope for tomorrow
Across our path were laid.
Refrain
I see a crimson stream of blood,
It flows from Calvary,
Its waves which reach the throne of God,
Are sweeping over me.

2.     Today no condemnation
Abides to turn away
My soul from His salvation,
He's in my heart to stay.
Refrain
I see a crimson stream of blood,
It flows from Calvary,
Its waves which reach the throne of God,
Are sweeping over me.

3.     When gloom and sadness whisper,
"You've sinned -no use to pray,"
I look away to Jesus,
And He tells me to say:
Refrain
I see a crimson stream of blood,
It flows from Calvary,
Its waves which reach the throne of God,
Are sweeping over me.

4.     And when we reach the portal
Where life forever reigns,
The ransomed hosts' grand final
Will be this glad refrain.
Refrain
I see a crimson stream of blood,
It flows from Calvary,
Its waves which reach the throne of God,
Are sweeping over me.

Listen to it here.    BLOOD

No comments: