Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, May 29, 2022

BLESSED CALVARY

          I have never had the thrill of visiting Israel and walking where Jesus walked.  I am told it can be a life changing experience.
          If I could visit the Holy Land, the one place I'd love to visit is Calvary.  It was there that my Savior suffered and was crucified for me.  There He bore my sins and the sins of the entire world.  What a blessed truth and place for all believers.
          We are reminded of this in the words written in 1921 by Avis Christiansen (1895 – 1985). She began writing poems in childhood, and before her death had written thousands of them.  Ranked as one of the important hymn writers of the twentieth century, her poems produced hundreds of gospel song texts over a period of fifty years, beginning in 1916. Her works were not usually based on any unusual experiences but came out of her daily life as she went about fulfilling the many duties of a busy homemaker.  Several well-known gospel musicians have been her collaborators in her hymns.   
          The words of this hymn are Avis's but the tune was supplied by Lance Brenton Latham, an accomplished concert pianist.  But, Latham's most recognized accomplishment was his part in the founding of a children's club that eventually became the worldwide Awana Youth Association. 
          Christiansen's hymn reminds us, in the first verse, that in and through Christ, "the riches of heaven are mine". "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" (Romans 8:32). We are able to enjoy many of these blessings now, but many more are reserved for our enjoyment in heaven (I Peter. 1:3-4).
          In verse two she reminds us that God's saving work was motivated by His deep love for us (John 3:16), and it was all of grace, His undeserved, unmerited favor (Ephesians 2:8-9).  The song reminds us that we have, in Christ, present victory. There is "blessed victory, and grace for each step of the way" 
         
In verse three she shares "No merit have I of my own" Instead, "the shed blood of Christ [is] my only plea" "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified [declared righteous] freely by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Romans. 3:23-24). Finally, "The cross is my hope for eternity" as well.  What a blessed hope!
          This hymn is a simple but blessed reminder of all that we have because of Calvary.  Blessed Calvary!  Precious Calvary!  Think about these truths this week.
 
1.   I look at the cross upon Calvary,
And oh, what a wonder divine,
To think of the wealth it holds for me—
The riches of Heaven are mine
Refrain
Blessèd Calvary! Precious Calvary!
'Neath thy shadow I'll ever abide.
Blessèd Calvary! Precious Calvary!
'Twas there Jesus suffered and died.
 
2.    I find at the cross blessèd victory,
And grace for each step of my way.
The fount of God's love is flowing free,
And sweeter it grows day by day. 
Refrain
Blessèd Calvary! Precious Calvary!
'Neath thy shadow I'll ever abide.
Blessèd Calvary! Precious Calvary!
'Twas there Jesus suffered and died 
 
3. The cross is my hope for eternity,
No merit have I of my own;
The shed blood of Christ my only plea—
My trust is in Jesus alone. 
Refrain
Blessèd Calvary! Precious Calvary!
'Neath thy shadow I'll ever abide.
Blessèd Calvary! Precious Calvary!
'Twas there Jesus suffered and died
 
Listen to it here.    CALVARY
  

No comments: