Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 3, 2021

IT MAY BE TODAY (THE CHRIST I LOVE)

         I love it when my wife sits at our piano and from memory plays hymns and choruses that we grew up singing.  Recently I listened as she played the song "It May Be Today", also known as "The Christ I Love".  As the words suddenly came back to my mind I was encouraged with the truth that Christ, the One I love, could soon call us home at any time - morning, night or noon.  I was encouraged and my heart silently cried out, "Lord, come soon!".
          As I began to search on the internet I found that this song was written by Bea Bush Bixler (1916-2013), one of the twentieth century's most prolific song writers, pianists, and vocalists.  She made her entry into Christian music with the success of "Life Is A Symphony"  which was often included at Youth for Christ rallies around the United States.  Her songs such as "It Maybe Today", "Life is a Symphony", "I Am Not Worthy", "It May Be Today" and "The Breaking of the Bread", were featured in the song  books by Singspiration, Favorites. These songs were particularly popular in the 1940s through 1970s in church meetings and revivals.
         Bea was a weak and ill child and one day as her mother was hanging the laundry in their back yard, a neighbor inquired as to Bea's health. Her mother reported that it was poor, and the neighbor said she would ask the people of her local church to join her in prayer for the healing and health of this little one. Not long after, Bea made a recovery and became well and strong. After her healing her family began faithful attendance at that very church.  
         Bea began learning to play and to love the piano. She learned and improved so rapidly, that soon she was playing both by ear and by memorization,  She was improvising, playing in the "evangelistic style" of the early twentieth century, and soon she was playing in the evening services in that local church whose members had prayed for her healing.   
          Recognizing that she had God-given gifts in the area of music, Bea left for the Missionary Training Institute [now Nyack College] in Nyack, New York to major in piano and voice. There she progressed so far that it was acknowledged that the faculty there could take her no further and so she transferred to Houghton College in Western New York. There she excelled in piano, voice, and composition. Her grasp of musical theory was highly advanced.  During this time she was actively playing for Gospel quartets, choirs, local churches, and for college touring groups.  She is said to have written more than 450 pieces, but  unfortunately the majority have never been either recorded or reduced to the written page.
          The message of this particular song is especially appropriate today when many hearts are broken and tears are being shed.  But Christ has left the message that He will call us home and so our hearts need not be troubled.  Someday soon we will be raptured.  So be encouraged, the One we love is coming - soon - it might even be today - at morning, night or noon!   Maranatha!

1.     There is a message written in the word of God for me. 
My Saviour put it there, to ease my load of care. 
I read let not your heart be troubled I will come again 
That with me you may be through out eternity.
The Christ I love, is coming soon 
It maybe morning night or noon. 
My lamps are lit I'll watch and pray 
It maybe today It maybe today.  

2.     So many hearts are broken here, so many tears are shed 
But Jesus gives sweet peace, His message brings relief 
He'll come again for those he love the clouds will part someday 
And Jesus will break through, I'm going up are you.
The Christ I love, is coming soon 
It maybe morning night or noon. 
My lamps are lit I'll watch and pray 
It maybe today It maybe today.   

3.     This is the Christian's hope and like a beacon in the sky 
It still send forth it's light to make the pathway bright 
The dead in Christ and we remaining shall be upward caught 
Oh what a day t'will be blest day of victory.
The Christ I love, is coming soon 
It maybe morning night or noon. 
My lamps are lit I'll watch and pray 
It maybe today It maybe today. 

Listen to it here.  TODAY

No comments: