Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, March 21, 2021

SAVIOR LEAD ME


          It is so sad to hear of Christian leaders who fall into temptation and lose their testimony and ministry.  And it has happened too often over the years.  Take King David for instance - "A man after God's own heart."  And yet he gave into the temptation of lust and it led to even more sin.
          But we don't need to be a well known person or a leader to face temptations and give into them.  It can happen to each of us.  And that is why daily we should pray the message of this hymn, "Savior, lead me lest I stray, gently lead me all the way."
          The text and tune of this hymn were written by Frank M. Davis (1839 - 1896) in 1880.  During his life Davis traveled extensively in Maryland, New York, Ohio and Michigan.  A teacher of voice and instrumental classes, he had charge of choirs in various places and was known as a fine soloist. He wrote hymns for Sunday schools and for the temperance movement.  He never married.  He wrote this song on a steamer on Chesapeake Bay while bound for Baltimore.
          In the first verse Davis asks the Lord to lead us that we might not stray.  The second verse asks the Lord to lead us in safety.  And in the final verse he asks the Lord to lead us until the storm of life is past.  Lead us till we reach the land of endless day where all tears are washed away.  What an amazing future believers have.
          This short old hymn is a great reminder of how believers need to be led daily by the Savior.  We need the safety of being by His side and being led by Him every moment of every day.  May this be our challenge, our desire and our daily prayer.

1     Savior, lead me lest I, stray,
Gently lead me all the way;
I am safe when by thy side,
I would in thy love abide.
Refrain:
Lead me, lead me.
Savior, lead me lest I stray;
Gently down the stream of time,
Lead me, Savior, all the way.

2     Thou the refuge of my soul,
When life's stormy billows roll;
I am safe when thou art nigh,
All my hopes on thee rely. 
Refrain:
Lead me, lead me.
Savior, lead me lest I stray;
Gently down the stream of time,
Lead me, Savior, all the way.

3     Savior, lead me, then at last,
When the storm of life is past;
To the land of endless day,
Where all tears are wiped away. 
Refrain:
Lead me, lead me.
Savior, lead me lest I stray;
Gently down the stream of time,
Lead me, Savior, all the way.

Listen to it here    LEAD ME

No comments: