Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, March 28, 2021

O SACRED HEAD NOW WOUNDED

          Over the centuries many hymns have been written on the topic of the Crucifixion and Resurrection.  One of these shares explicitly the suffering of Jesus and the resulting effects upon the lives of believers.  "O Sacred Head" is a hymn for Holy Week, a time of reflection on what Christ has done for us. Specifically, this hymn takes place at the time of the crucifixion on Good Friday. 
          The true origins of this hymn, "O sacred head, now wounded", are still debated. Some sources suggest the 11th century, while others attribute the text to Arnulf of Louvain (1091-1251) in the 13th century.  Still others believe that the source is later still because the poem first appeared in an anonymous Latin manuscript from the 14th century.   The Latin text consisted of seven parts, identifying a different part of the body (feet, knees, hands, sides, breast, heart and head), intended to be sung each day of Holy Week. 
          Prevailing thought attributes the text to Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153), who was a spiritual leader held in the highest esteem by many, including Martin Luther.  But is also often attributed to the Medieval poet Arnulf of Leuven (died 1250).   The poem was translated into German by the Lutheran hymnist Paul Gerhardt (1607–1676). He reworked the Latin version to suggest a more personal contemplation of the events of Christ's death on the cross.  it is the closing section which has become best known, and is sung as a hymn in its own right. The German hymn begins with "O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden".
          Since then it has been translated and modified many times with different variations of the title.  It originally had eight verses but today published lyrics have three or four verses.
          But no matter who wrote it or revised it, the words are powerful and should be meaningful to all believers.  We should remember how His sacred head was wounded, how it was gorged with thorns, how He was weighed down with the sins of man, how He suffered and was shamed ... all for us, for our gain.  We deserved this punishment.  What an indescribable sacrifice.          
         Can you claim as the writer says, "I joy to call thee mine" ?    And is it your desire that "what language shall I borrow to thank thee, dearest Friend"?   And finally, is it your prayer "Oh, make me thine forever, and should I fainting be, Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to thee."
          May this ancient hymn challenge you during this Easter season.

1   O sacred Head, now wounded,
with grief and shame weighed down,
now scornfully surrounded
with thorns, thine only crown!
O sacred Head, what glory,
what bliss till now was thine!
Yet, though despised and gory,
I joy to call thee mine.

2    What thou, my Lord, hast suffered
was all for sinners' gain.
Mine, mine was the transgression,
but thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior!
'Tis I deserve thy place.
Look on me with thy favor,
and grant to me thy grace.

3    What language shall I borrow
to thank thee, dearest Friend,
for this, thy dying sorrow,
thy pity without end?
Oh, make me thine forever,
and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never
outlive my love to thee.

Some include the following as a fourth verse.

Be near when I am dying,
oh, show thy cross to me,
and for my rescue, flying,
come, Lord, and set me free!
These eyes, new faith receiving,
from Jesus shall not move,
for one who dies believing
dies safely, through thy love.

I also found some lyrics that use the following as a fourth verse.

Be Thou my consolation,
 my shield when I must die;
Remind me of Thy passion 
when my last hour draws nigh.
Mine eyes shall then behold Thee, 
upon Thy cross shall dwell,
My heart by faith enfolds Thee. 
Who dieth thus dies well.

Listen to it here.   WOUNDED


No comments: