Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, April 23, 2023

MY WEALTH IS NOT IN WHAT I OWN


          If you are a citizen of the United States, you may presently still be trying to complete your annual income tax.  This can be a very stressful time for most of us.
          Even if we have it done by a tax preparer, the process still requires us to review all of our financial investments and income – wages, IRA’s, bonuses, deposits, stocks, bonds, debts, etc.  Generally, we consider these things to be our personal wealth.  But as we’ve probably learned with recent inflation, this wealth can quickly come and go.

           In addition, one of the struggles we each face is the search for significance. Our 21st-century sense of identity is grounded in individualism, self-entitlement, and narcissism. From whom we marry to what career choice we make, to what church we attend, every choice is geared around what these things do for us.  This attitude of consumerism is one of the most prevalent idols in Western culture and has become an epidemic even in the church.
          This week’s choice i
s a song that speaks to the subject of worth by reminding us that true significance is found not in our financial wealth but in our identity in Christ.   It was written by Kristyn and Keith Getty and Graham Kendrick, in an attempt to share that we, as men and women created in the image and likeness of the Creator, are created with intrinsic worth. In Christ, no longer do we look to our own accomplishments and achievements to find significance. We look instead to his perfect work on our behalf, and there our souls find the true sense of identity we so crave. The chorus of their song reminds us Jesus is an inheritance and treasure far greater than anything this world has to offer.  
          According to William Temple, “My worth is what I am worth to God, and that is a marvelous great deal, for Christ died for me.”
          This hymn covers a diversity of themes—stewardship, accomplishment, youth and beauty, idolatry, worth, and the atoning work of Christ on our behalf.  It reaffirms that as redeemed men and women our identity is wrapped up in Christ, the sinless Son of God.
          So as you struggle completing your income tax, rejoice that your wealth is not in what you own, but in the costly wounds of love … at the Cross.

My worth is not in what I own
Not in the strength of flesh and bone
But in the costly wounds of love
At the cross

My worth is not in skill or name
In win or lose, in pride or shame
But in the blood of Christ that flowed
At the cross

I rejoice in my Redeemer
Greatest Treasure,
Wellspring of my soul
I will trust in Him, no other.
My soul is satisfied in Him alone.

As summer flowers we fade and die
Fame, youth and beauty hurry by
But life eternal calls to us
At the cross

I will not boast in wealth or might
Or human wisdom's fleeting light
But I will boast in knowing Christ
At the cross

Two wonders here that I confess
My worth and my unworthiness
My value fixed - my ransom paid
At the cross

 

Listen to it here.    WEALTH

 

 

No comments: