Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, July 31, 2022

SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD

           Today's chorus would be an excellent prayer for each believer to sing at the beginning of each new day. "Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me."
          The words were written in 1926 by Daniel Iverson (1890-1977) after hearing a sermon on the Holy Sprit during an evangelism crusade by the George Stephans Evangelistic Team in Orlando, Florida.  Later that day Iverson sat down at the piano, and wrote this song. Miss Birdie Loes, the pianist for the Stephans team, wrote it out on manuscript paper. E. Powell Lee, the team song leader, was immediately impressed and taught it to the people that evening in the tabernacle, and used it throughout the campaign.  The song was then printed in leaflets for use at other services.  
          Iverson studied at the University of Georgia, Moody Bible Institute, Columbia Theological Seminary, and the University of South Carolina. Ordained in the Presbyterian Church in 1914, he served congregations in Georgia and in North and South Carolina. In 1927 he founded the Shenandoah Presbyterian Church in Miami, Florida, and served there until his retirement in 1951. An evangelist as well as a preacher, Iverson planted seven new congregations during his ministry in Miami.
          This song is one of the most long-lasting and widely used choruses in Christian worship. Every aspect of the song embodies a simple sincerity.  The melody encompasses only five notes, with every pitch in its place. The harmonies can be played by a very modestly skilled pianist, and three of the four lines repeat the same nine words. Yet for many, the straightforward petitions of this song draw the singer into an attitude of prayer.
         The words of this chorus reflect the thoughts of Jeremiah 18:6, :"O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel" (KJV).
          Daily we should desire the Spirit of the Living God to fall afresh on us.  We need him to break us ... melt us ... mold us ... fill us.  Oh how different our days would be if this would be our prayer and our experience every day.
           Sing and pray these words daily.
 
Spirit of the Living God,
Fall afresh on me,
Spirit of the Living God,
Fall afresh on me.
Break me, melt me, mold me, fill me.
Spirit of the Living God,
Fall afresh on me.

Listen to it here.     SPIRIT


No comments: