Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, April 3, 2022

I WILL SING OF THE MERCIES

          One of the most unusual battles ever waged is recorded in 2 Chronicles 20.  
         Judah was invaded from the South and King Jehosphat had no way to save his city.  He felt a surge of panic but he pulled himself together enough to summon the public for prayer.
       He prayed, "We have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." (verse 12)  When he finished praying, no sound was heard.
        Then suddenly a prophet called out, "Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God's" (verse 15).   What a truth for us today in these troubled times in which we live.
          The next day Judah's armies marched into battle, but using an unlikely military strategy.  Musicians went first, praising the Lord, singing,  "Praise the Lord, for His mercy endures forever" (verse 21).  The armies of the enemy were plundered, and God won the victory.
          May this historical account be an example for us today.  As we face circumstances coming against us, may we march forward with singing, praise, and prayer.  The battle is not ours, but God's.  His mercies to us are infinite.
          The Psalmist declared in Psalm 89:1, "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations".
          And this verse is the basis for what may be one of the first "modern worship choruses" written.  The composer of the tune and the author of the lyrics of this hymn are unknown, but credit is usually given to  James Henry Fillmore (1849-1936). 
            Fred & James Fillmore were brothers living in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. Both of them were ministers and traveling music teachers, teaching piano, organ, and singing in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and elsewhere. Together, they started a music company called The Fillmore Brothers Publishing Company, and they published a magazine that included some of the new songs they wrote.   Since James wrote more music than Fred did, it is assumed that's why this song was credited to James. But, recently this song has been discovered in one of Fred's collections of gospel songs. 
           Whichever brother wrote this hymn - if either brother did write it - this song was forgotten until it was rediscovered in the late 1950s when youth groups, Sunday School classes, and Vacation Bible Schools started singing it again.
           May the words of Psalm 89:1 and this classic chorus remind us to sing of the Lord's many mercies to us as we face the many challenges of this day.  And may we share them with all that we contact, especially our children and grandchildren.

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, 
I will sing, I will sing, 
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, 
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord. 
With my mouth will I make known 
Thy faithfulness, Thy faithfulness, 
With my mouth will I make known 
Thy faithfulness to all generations,
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, 
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord. 

Listen to it here.   MERCIES

No comments: