Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, March 20, 2022

SAVIOR MORE THAN LIFE TO ME

          A few hymns are written "backwards". That is the music is actually composed before the words are written.  That is how this beautiful hymn came to be.
         The tune (Every Day and Hour) was composed by William Howard Doane (1832-1915). In 1875 Doane sent the melody to Fanny Crosby (1820-1915) and requested that she provide some words on the theme "Every day and hour." The song first appeared later that year in Brightest and Best compiled by Doane and Robert Lowry.
          Crosby's response in the form of this hymn gave the blind hymn writer great comfort and filled her heart with joy.   She felt sure that God would bless this hymn to many hearts.  And she was right since over the years millions have been refreshed and strengthen as they have sung it.
          Personally, as I write this, it is my comfort prayer as I wait for the results of important medical tests.  His tender love to me does bind me closer to Him as I wait.  And I am sure that many could share the same testimony that they, too, have been encouraged by this hymn.
          The song tells us what Jesus should mean to us,  In the first verse she shares that Christ is more than life.  In the second verse Christ is the object of our trust. "Through this changing world below ... Trusting Thee ... I can never, never lose my way."  In verse three Jesus is the one who takes us home. "Till this fleeting, fleeting life is o'er ... in a brighter world above."  Then the refrain closes with the prayer "Every day, every hour ... Bind me closer, closer, Lord to Thee."
          So many things are vying for our time and attention today.  But may our life demonstrate the reality that our Savior is more than life to us.  May we cling to Him every day and every hour.

1.     Savior, more than life to me,
I am clinging, clinging close to Thee;
Let Thy precious blood applied,
Keep me ever, ever near Thy side.
Every day, every hour
Let me feel Thy cleansing power;
May Thy tender love to me
Bind me closer, closer, Lord to Thee

.2.     Through this changing world below,
Lead me gently, gently as I go.
Trusting Thee, I cannot stray
I can never, never lose my way.
Every day, every hour
Let me feel Thy cleansing power;
May Thy tender love to me
Bind me closer, closer, Lord to Thee

3.     Let me love Thee more an more,
Till this fleeting, fleeting life is o'er;
Till my soul is lost in love,
In a brighter, brighter world above.
Every day, every hour
Let me feel Thy cleansing power;
May Thy tender love to me
Bind me closer, closer, Lord to Thee

Listen to it here   SAVIOR


No comments: