Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, August 29, 2021

I'M FOLLOWING JESUS (EACH STEP OF THE WAY)

          Redd Harper (11903-1992), often known as Mr. Texas, grew up primarily in Oklahoma where he had many influences, both religious and musical, that would shape his future. He grew up with two devoutly Christian friends who, over time, were partly the cause of him accepting the faith.  He was religious to a point in his early years, but inwardly mocked those who declared themselves to be followers of Christ.
          Harper was a natural guitar player and had an interest in traditional western country music, but also newer genres such as western jazz, leading him to learn to play the trumpet as well.  Harper was a part of a concert band that became more and more successful until they were invited to join an Oklahoma City radio station in 1924. From there, his career took off, and his music was in greater demand. In 1931 he joined a larger radio station in Des Moines, Iowa, found more success, and decided to head to Hollywood, California. However, he arrived at the end of the western jazz era and the start of the Great Depression, making it hard to find work. 
          When World War II started, he joined the Coast Guard for three years.  After the war, he found success again in Hollywood as he began working with other big name artists of the time from both radio and movies. During this time he also worked the movie industry and starred in several films.
           About that time the big news in the Hollywood community was that Stuart Hamblen had "got religion" at a Billy Graham rally. Harper was derisive. "I laughed and said to myself that the big phony was just putting that on." But shortly after he was invited to a Christian meeting where Hamblen gave his testimony. Redd was stunned, realizing this was a changed man from the one he used to drink with. Through continued contact with Christians, Redd Harper was eventually led to trust the Lord Jesus Christ as his Saviour.
          Then came the idea of using music to express his faith. "God made a songwriter out of me!" he said.  In the 1950's Harper traveled extensively with the Billy Graham team, and starred in three gospel films. Then he launched out on his own evangelistic ministry in many countries of the world.  He also began to write music with a new theme. One of those was "Following Jesus", also known as "Each Step Of The Way".
          This song is really Harper's testimony.  He learned that life's pathway is narrow but Jesus leads His children safely on the way.  He learned of the Saviour's presence with him each hour of the day.  He learned that he was never alone and Harper's desire was to love Him and sing His praises forever as the Lord walked beside him.
          Is this your testimony?  Are you following Jesus, each step of the way?

1.   I'm following Jesus, 
One step at a time; 
I live for the moment, 
In His Love divine. 
Why think of tomorrow, 
Just live for today; 
I'm following Jesus, 
Each step of the way. 

CHORUS:
For He is my Saviour,
My Lord and my King
Forever I'll love Him,
His praises Ill sing,
Till low in the valley,
My life shall grow dim,
My Lord walks beside me,
I'm depending on Him.

2.   The pathway is narrow, 
But He leads me on; 
I walk in His shadow, 
My fears are all gone. 
My spirit grows stronger, 
Each moment, each day, 
For Jesus is leading 
Each step of the way. 

3.   I walk with my Saviour 
Each hour of the day,
I walk in His Presence
For He leads the way,
He never has failed me,
And true I shall be,
I'm depending on Jesus,
He's depending on me.

4.   His Presence surrounds me
His love leads me on,
He's always beside me,
I'm never alone,
Until in His Glory, 
His Face I shall see
And even if I fail Him, 
He'll never failed me.

Listen to it here.    FOLLOWING




No comments: