Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, May 16, 2021

MORE LIKE THE MASTER

          Did you ever have a hero, someone that you admired and wanted to model?  When I was in elementary school my hero was Robin Roberts a great pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, the famous Whiz Kids.  He was a great pitcher but I  soon learned that I didn't have the natural ability to be a pitcher, and certainly not a Robin Roberts.
          As I grew up I had many friends, relatives and pastors that I admired and who were good role models for a young man like me.  But I soon learned that they were humans and had their own shortcomings.  Then as I matured spiritually I began to realize that the only perfect hero is Jesus Christ, the only perfect person ever and the one that I should desire to follow.  You see Jesus is my friend, my guide, my defender, my provider, my example, but even more than that, He is my Savior and I want to be more like Him every day.
          Years ago we used to sing a simple chorus written  in 1946 by Lillian Parkerhorn:
My desire, to be like Jesus;
My desire to be like Him.
His Spirit fill me, His love o'er whelm me;
In deed and word to be like Him.
         Charles H. Gabriel (1856-1932) knew the importance of this desire when he penned the words to this week's hymn choice.  It is an ardent prayer that the likeness of Christ be reproduced in us by the Holy Spirit.   Gabriel is said to have written an estimated seven thousand gospel songs. This gospel song was first published in 1906, and has been included in many hymn books since.
          Another gospel song writer, George Stebbins, called Gabriel "the most outstanding and brilliant Christian musician of his time." A man with a genial and kindly personality, Gabriel had many friends among the writers of sacred song.  
           Gabriel knew that we are to be "be transformed by the renewing of [our] mind, that [we] may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Rom. 12:2). As we walk in faith and obedience toward God, He produces, more and more, the spiritual fruit of Christian character in us (Gal. 5:22-23) .
            Are you a portrait of His meekness and humility or are you rude and arrogant? Is your conversation marked by words of kindness and encouragement or is it marred by negativity and grouchiness? Live your life for what you really are: "His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works (Ephesians 2:10)." When you do this people will begin to notice that you are more like the Master.         

1.     More like the Master I would ever be,
More of His meekness, more humility;
More zeal to labor, more courage to be true,
More consecration for work He bids me do.
Refrain:
Take Thou my heart, I would be Thine alone;
Take Thou my heart, and make it all Thine own;
Purge me from sin, O Lord, I now implore,
Wash me and keep me Thine forevermore.

2.     More like the Master is my daily prayer;
More strength to carry crosses I must bear;
More earnest effort to bring His kingdom in;
More of His Spirit, the wanderer to win.
Refrain:
Take Thou my heart, I would be Thine alone;
Take Thou my heart, and make it all Thine own;
Purge me from sin, O Lord, I now implore,
Wash me and keep me Thine forevermore.

3.      More like the Master I would live and grow;
More of His love to others I would show;
More self-denial, like His in Galilee,
More like the Master I long to ever be
Refrain:
Take Thou my heart, I would be Thine alone;
Take Thou my heart, and make it all Thine own;
Purge me from sin, O Lord, I now implore,
Wash me and keep me Thine forevermore.

You can listen to it here.   MORE LIKE
.


No comments: