Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, February 14, 2021

I BELONG TO THE KING

          I am often told that I look and act like my father.  And that is a special complement because my father was a special godly man who I really miss.  I would be thrilled to be half the man that he was.  
         But as honored as I am with those comparisons, nothing can match the knowledge that I belong to the king and I'm a child of His love.  I know that because in 1 John 3:1 we read  "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God."
          Ida Lillard Reed/Smith (1865-1951) had a life of burdensome trials and afflictions but despite that she was able to write "I Belong to the King".  Born and reared in the mountains of West Virginia, her life was one long, continuous burden-bearing journey. For many years she was compelled to do heavy and arduous work on their farm.  This she did in support of an invalid and widowed mother.  
          Broken at last by the strenuous toil and challenges, she was sorely afflicted and bedridden for years.  Even then, in her hours of pain, she wrote poems for publishers to eke out a meager living.  She was removed to a hospital as a last resort, in the hope of prolonging her pain-wracked, yet beautiful life.  From her hospital bed of pain, she wrote the words of this poem.  "I Belong to the King" is a golden nugget from the mine of character of one of God's most humble children.   During these years she penned more than 2,000 hymns. 
           When the attention of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers was called to a financial state that was short of life's bare necessities, they voted her a pension with a monthly allowance that banished anxiety, and assured comfort for the rest of her life.
          What at thrill to know that you can be a child of the King of the universe, a King who never forsaketh His own.  He is our refuge no matter what we may face in life, including pandemics.  And His promise is sure that someday we will be called to His palace above and will dwell by His glorified throne.

1      I belong to the King, I'm a child of His love,
I shall dwell in His palace so fair;
For He tells of its bliss in yon heaven above,
And His children in splendor shall share.
Chorus:
I belong to the King, I'm a child of His love,
And he never forsaketh His own;
He will call me some day to His palace above,
I shall dwell by His glorified throne.

2      I belong to the King, and He loves me I know,
For His mercy and kindness, so free,
Are unceasingly mine wheresoever I go,
And my refuge unfailing is He. 
I belong to the King, I'm a child of His love,
And he never forsaketh His own;
He will call me some day to His palace above,
I shall dwell by His glorified throne.

3      I belong to the King, and His promise is sure,
That we all shall be gathered at last
In His kingdom above, by life's waters so pure,
When this life with its trials is past.
I belong to the King, I'm a child of His love,
And he never forsaketh His own;
He will call me some day to His palace above,
I shall dwell by His glorified throne.

Listen to it here.   KING


No comments: