Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, December 27, 2020

HIS LOVING KINDNESS

          Psalm 117:2,  "For His loving kindness is great toward us, And the truth of the LORD is everlasting. Praise the LORD!"   Psalm 63:3, "Because Your loving kindness is better than life, My lips will praise You."
          In the midst of a time which has been filled with the unknown, anxiety, fear and danger, Christians need to pause and, as the scripture says, thank the Lord for His great loving kindness to us.  It's so free, so great, so strong, and so good!
          At the age of 14, Samuel Medley (1738-1799) was apprenticed to an oilman in London.  But he didn't like the business so he entered the Royal Navy. Then he was severely wounded in a battle with the French fleet off Port Lagos, so in 1759, he was obliged to retire from active service.  About that time he heard a  sermon by Isaac Watts, and that led to his conversion. He joined a Baptist Church in London and under the care of a Dr. Gifford, opened a school which he conducted for several years  Having begun to preach, he received, in 1767, a call to become pastor of the Baptist church at Watford. Then in 1772, he moved to Liverpool, where he gathered a large congregation, and for 27 years ministered there. After a long and painful illness he died in 1799.
          It is said that Samuel Medley wrote 230 hymns. His hymns are marked by the spirit of praise and worship. Among the best-known of his hymns are this one known also as "Awake, My Soul, to Joyful Lays," and "I Know that My Redeemer Lives". This week's hymn was first printed on what was then called "broad sheets" for distribution. A writer noted that "The popularity it has in America is owing much to the refrain which closes every stanza, and the old, old melody to which it has been sung in a thousand camp meetings, East, West and South".
          May you be challenged this week as you mediate upon His loving kindness to you.  Take time to thank Him and praise Him.  God is so good! 
         
1.     Awake, my soul, to joyful lays,
And sing thy great Redeemer's praise;
He justly claims a song for me,
His loving-kindness, oh, how free!
Loving-kindness, loving-kindness,
His loving-kindness, oh, how free!

2.     He saw me ruined in the fall,
Yet loved me notwithstanding all;
He saved me from my lost estate,
His loving-kindness, oh, how great!
Loving-kindness, loving-kindness,
His loving-kindness, oh, how great!

3.     Though num'rous hosts of mighty foes,
Though earth and hell my way oppose,
He safely leads my soul along,
His loving-kindness, oh, how strong!
Loving-kindness, loving-kindness,
His loving-kindness, oh, how strong!

4.     When trouble like a gloomy cloud,
Has gathered thick and thundered loud,
He near my soul has always stood,
His loving-kindness, oh, how good!
Loving-kindness, loving-kindness,
His loving-kindness, oh, how good!

5.     Soon I shall pass the gloomy vale,
Soon all my mortal pow'rs must fail;
Oh, may my last expiring breath
His loving-kindness sing in death.
Loving-kindness, loving-kindness,
His loving-kindness sing in death.

6.     Then let me mount and soar away
To the bright world of endless day;
And sing with raptures and surprise,
His loving-kindness in the skies.
Loving-kindness, loving-kindness,
His loving-kindness in the skies

Listen to it here.   LOVINGKINDNESS

No comments: