Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, October 11, 2020

I'VE FOUND A FRIEND


       Many inspiring hymns have been written following periods of deep distress.  Such was the case with this week's hymn choice.  Barclay Allen (1918-1966) was a very talented pianist who headlined with the Fredy Martin Band in the 1940's.  They played all over America and he accompanied people like Peggy Lee, Jane Russell, and Frank Sinatra.  
         One night in 1949, while driving in Nevada, after drinking all day, he fell asleep at the wheel, drove over an embankment, and ended up paralyzed from the neck down. He was 30 years old. At the request of his mother, a Rev. Norman Hammer launched an intensive conversion effort on the young man who was nearing death. The angry young musician's heart was finally reached by the Lord and the pastor introduced him to his friend, the Lord Jesus Christ.  
          Months later, after long and difficult rehabilitation, Barclay Allen regained a measure of his mobility. He was able to sit in a wheelchair, and even to do a limited amount of piano playing.  In 1953, Barclay Allen composed the music and a friend, Roc Hillman, supplied the lyrics for the hymn "I Found a Friend."   The hymn was made popular when it was sung by George Beverly Shea at Billy Graham rallies.  
          While the words were penned by Hillman, they probably are the testimony of Allen  ...  when life seemed not worth living ... a friend so tender and forgiving ... now He walks beside me ... his love is overflowing ... I can depend on Him to see me through ... my soul will live in glory ... He's ever near ... I found a friend and life began anew ... He can be your friend too.  What an amazing testimony from one who was paralyzed.  If God can love and care for one like Allen, certainly He can care for you.  Have you placed your trust in Him?

1.   I found a Friend when life seemed not worth living
I found a Friend so tender and forgiving
I can't conceive how such a thing could be
That Jesus cares for even me
Each day, each year, my faith in him is growing,
He's ever near, his love is overflowing
I have no fear my worldly cares are few
I can depend on Him to see me through
I found a Friend, He can be your Friend too.

2.     I found a Friend and now He walks beside me
His hand to lead, to comfort and to guide me
When clouds appear I talk to Him awhile,
He's taught this heart of mine to smile
Each day, each year, my faith in him is growing,
He's ever near, his love is overflowing
I have no fear my worldly cares are few
I can depend on Him to see me through
I found a Friend, He can be your Friend too.

3.     Because He came, my soul will live in glory,
I'll praise His name and tell my Saviors story,
What friend so true would give his all for you,
I found a friend and life began anew
I'm sure you'll find He is your Friend too
Each day, each year, my faith in him is growing,
He's ever near, his love is overflowing
I have no fear my worldly cares are few
I can depend on Him to see me through
I found a Friend, He can be your Friend too.

Listen to it here.   FRIEND

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thank you so much for posting this! The lyrics are beautiful and I couldn't find it anywhere else online. Its been a blessing to me. Thanks again.