Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, September 6, 2020

BLESSED BE THE FOUNTAIN

          "In that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and for uncleanness" (Zech. 13:1).   This prophecy of Zechariah uses the word fountain in connection with cleansing from sin.   "...For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness.'" (Hebrews 9:22) 
         Sometimes this Gospel song is called "Whiter Than The Snow", using the first line of the chorus. The song conveys a clear message of the death of Christ on the cross and the cleansing available to sinners through the blood of Christ.  The text of this hymn was written in 1881 by Eden Reeder Latta (1839-1915). I recall how it used to be one of the favorite songs years ago in our Sunday evening services when I was growing up, but I don't know when I last heard it sung. 
         Latta inherited his musical talent from his parents. His father was a noted singing teacher, his mother was an excellent vocalist and his older brother, William O. Perkins, was also a hymn tune compose.  Mr. Latta composed this week's hymn for a Dr. Henry Perkins in Chicago, who then provided the music. The song gained immediate popularity. Not only was it published in many song books, but it was also translated into other languages for the use of missionaries.  It is said that Latta wrote about 1,600 hymns during his life, writing many for musicians who then added the tunes.  Many of his texts were purchased by William Ogden, a boyhood friend, who completed the hymns. It is said that on one occasion he actually wrote nine hymns in one day for a James McGranahan.  I
         In this week's hymn choice Mr. Latta shares the need for ta fountain of blood for a world of sinners.  But he also makes the need personal.  "Only by His stripes we are healed. Tho I've wandered far from His fold, bringing to my heart pain and woe"  The second verse shares how the fountain flowed and how Christ suffered for this to happen.  In the final verse he again makes the need personal.  "Often has my heart gone astray."  But his response is "Jesus, to the Fountain of Thine, leaning on Thy promise, I go;  Cleanse me by Thy washing divine, And I shall be whiter than snow."  We need to remember that there is only one way in which we can be reconciled with God and cleansed from our sin and that is through the blood of Christ.  Have you experienced the cleansing that this hymn shares? 

1      Blessed be the Fountain of blood,
To a world of sinners revealed;
Blessed be the dear Son of God -
Only by His stripes we are healed.
Tho I've wandered far from His fold,
Bringing to my heart pain and woe,
Wash me in the blood of the Lamb,
And I shall be whiter than snow.
Chorus:
Whiter than the snow,
Whiter than the snow,
Wash me in the blood of the Lamb,
And I shall be whiter than snow.

2      Thorny was the crown that He wore,
And the cross His body o'ercame;
Grievous were the sorrows He bore,
But He suffered thus not in vain.
May I to that Fountain be led,
Made to cleanse my sins here below;
Wash me in the blood that He shed,
And I shall be whiter than snow. 
Chorus:
Whiter than the snow,
Whiter than the snow,
Wash me in the blood of the Lamb,
And I shall be whiter than snow.

3      Father, I have wandered from Thee,
Often has my heart gone astray;
Crimson do my sins seem to me—
Water cannot wash them away.
Jesus, to the Fountain of Thine,
Leaning on Thy promise, I go;
Cleanse me by Thy washing divine,
And I shall be whiter than snow. 
Chorus:
Whiter than the snow,
Whiter than the snow,
Wash me in the blood of the Lamb,
And I shall be whiter than snow.

Listen to it here.   FOUNTAIN

No comments: