Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

SWEETER AS THE YEARS GO BY

Last week when my wife shared her age with a friend, the friend asked, "How did you get that old so fast?" Yes, time does fly. On Tuesday (see my personal blog for January 30) my aunt and uncle will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary. The Lord willing, we will celebrate our 50th anniversary in June. And in June I will celebrate my 67th spiritual birthday. Where did the years go? But in all three of these relationships, they are better and closer today than they ever were. And that is the testimony shared by this week's hymn, "Sweeter As The Years Go By". Last Saturday night, a local radio station was playing programs from the past and they played an old recording of "The Old Fashioned Revival Hour". After Rudy Atwood's traditional piano opening, the choir sang this week's hymn. I hadn't heard it in years but I sang along and thought how true the words really were not only years ago, but even more so, today. No matter how long you have served the Lord, I hope that this is also your testimony. I understand that the lyrics and music were written by Leila N. Morris (1862-1929). She became blind in her early fifties, but that didn't keep her from writing. I am told that she had a 28-foot long blackboard with large music staff lines. Using this special board she was able to see enough to help her write hymns. In all she wrote more than 1,000 hymn texts as well as many of the tunes. Her handicap didn't keep her from doing this and being productive for God. This hymn was first copyrighted in 1912 and the stanzas were originally for soprano and alto duet. But arrangements for full four part harmony were made by the Lillenas Publishing Company. Even with her blindness, Mrs. Morris found that her Lord did become sweeter to her as the years went by. Richer, fuller, deeper, Jesus' love is sweeter, sweeter as the years go by. May this also be your experience.

1. Of Jesus' love that sought me, when I was lost in sin;
Of wondrous grace that brought me back to His fold again;
Of heights and depths of mercy, far deeper than the sea,
And higher than the heavens, my theme shall ever be.
Sweeter as the years go by, sweeter as the years go by,
Richer, fuller, deeper, Jesus' love is sweeter,
Sweeter as the years go by.

2. He trod in old Judea life's pathway long ago;
The people thronged about Him, His saving grace to know;
He healed the broken hearted, and caused the blind to see;
And still His great heart yearneth in love for even me.
Sweeter as the years go by, sweeter as the years go by,
Richer, fuller, deeper, Jesus' love is sweeter,
Sweeter as the years go by.

3. 'Twas wondrous love which led Him for us to suffer loss,
To bear without a murmur the anguish of the cross;
With saints redeemed in glory, let us our voices raise,
Till Heav'n and earth reecho with our Redeemer's praise.
Sweeter as the years go by, sweeter as the years go by,
Richer, fuller, deeper, Jesus' love is sweeter,
Sweeter as the years go by.

I often have difficulty finding videos of many of these old hymns. I finally found a video for this hymn, but it is just an instrumental rendition accompanied by the words. So sing along as you recall this hymn. LISTEN

1 comment:

Myron said...

I love to sing this song and let the words sink down into my soul and spirit. They are a blessing to me as I move along through my 70s.