Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

GIVE THANKS

"I will thank you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High" (Psalm 9:1-2, New Living Translation). While this season draws our attention to giving thanks, our hearts should always be filled with praises and thanksgiving to the one who loves us and provides all that we need. I decided to go a slightly different direction this week and I have chosen a contemporary song which shares the message of this season. This praise chorus was made popular by Don Moen. However, it was really written by Henry Smith in 1978. Following the introduction of the song during a worship service at a church in Virginia, a military couple reintroduced it to a congregation in Germany. The song eventually caught the attention of executives at Integrity Music who copyrighted it in 1986. After being released, the song was brought to the attention of Smith, who contacted Integrity with authorship information. As of 2010, the song has been recorded by over 50 companies and published in songbooks around the world, having been translated into various other languages, including Russian, Afrikaans, and Swedish. I Thessalonians 5:18 says, "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." I am amazed to see how much of the scripture reminds us to give thanks. Maybe that is because the Lord knows that praise and thanksgiving don't normally flow easily from us. So often we just get bogged down with the cares of life and fail to see the many blessings that we have. It is often easier to complain and be critical. So this season be sure that your heart and voice are filled with thanksgiving. First make sure that you thank God for his Son and the blessings bestowed upon you. Then maybe you could make it a point to write a note to some people who have blessed you. Thank some folks who work behind the scenes and never get thanked publicly. Write a note to your children or your parents thanking them for what they mean to you. Send a gift anonymously to someone who has touched your life or is alone or is going through difficult times. And make sure that your actions sincerely demonstrate the thanks in your heart even as you work so hard to prepare the Thanksgiving meal, or entertain guests, or travel to visit others on Thursday. Make sure that you have a grateful heart. God is so good - all the time!

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks unto the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

(Repeat)

Give thanks, give thanks!

Listen to Don Moen sing it here.

No comments: